Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

The Grand plan vs Reality (I tried to keep the pics low res)

Most Recent Posts Potatoes going bad / Fig tree
Last post: sipherlucian
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Margo
The Post Mortem
Last post: Sue Deacon
The Wexford Whale
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
crosseyedsheep
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: The Grand plan vs Reality (I tried to keep the pics low res) Reply with quote

Here's a plan I've done for my garden, It's a bit blurry since I saved it as a Jpeg:

Here's how it looks now:

First off front "lawn" looking east from the entrance, I intend putting a rockery along the front of the house (to the left of the photo):

This is the eastern side looking from the SE corner:

Closer view of the north end of the east side, you can just about make out where I've planted some trees:

Looking from the East side of the house to where the "pond/waterfeature" will be, this is where I'm hoping to put a terraced garden leading into a herb garden. I may make the terrace the herb garden and then the level section at the bottom something like a Rose garden, something that would suite the walk to the pond, suggestions welcome:

Another view of where I intend putting the terrace, this needs to be filled first:

Entrance from front of the house, I intend planting some trees here as a screen:

This is where the back lawn meets the North east lawn, not so sure what to do with this, any suggestions? Thinking of some fruit bushes but it's east facing, maybe a hedge. That's my 1000L Composter to the right, everything goes in there so far nothing's come out.

This is the back lawn, got this done in a hurry as we needed somewhere for the kids to play:

Finally a picture of the house (I haven't finished the stone yet):

I'd appreciate any comments/tips/criticisms/whatever. I'll update this post as I progress (Over the next 10 years or so Rolling Eyes )
verge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your plan is a great start. It gets all your ideas down on paper now and allows you to make changes there rather than on the ground (more costly).
What design package did you use to create the drawing, it looks quite good.

If I may make a suggestion about the rockery at the front of the house. There seems to be a bed in the lawn to the front of it which contains trees. I would choose low growing varieties to allow as much light as possible to reach the rockery. As you probably know, most rockery plants like lots of light.

Your site has loads of existing growth around it, this gives the area character instantly.
crosseyedsheep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Verge,

Quote:
What design package did you use to create the drawing, it looks quite good.

Errrr, believe it or not it was done in "paint" Shocked yep the free one that comes with windows, I took a screen shot of the site plan, which I have soft copies of, and went from there. I created symbols for trees and used copy and paste etc. I couldn't justify shelling out for a garden design package and the free ones didn't seem to be much good anyway.

Quote:
If I may make a suggestion about the rockery at the front of the house. There seems to be a bed in the lawn to the front of it which contains trees. I would choose low growing varieties to allow as much light as possible to reach the rockery. As you probably know, most rockery plants like lots of light.

I intend restricting the height on both centre beds to about 4ft, the tree shapes are intended to be shrubs as I didn't want to block the view anyway.

Thanks for looking Verge and thanks for the comments.

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Planning a future garden. Reply with quote

I was away for a weeks holiday in Rome, I come back and see that crosseyedsheep has taken up garden design.
Some great ideas in the drawing there, for what appears to be quite a large site.
I especially like the herb garden shape.
The existing growth surrounding the site should add a fair share of shelter which is important when growing fruit.

My suggestion would be to stagger the fruit trees slightly to blend with the informal countryside.

On a personal note, I will have some horticulturally slanted pictures of Rome to post up over the next week or so.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
crosseyedsheep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was away for a weeks holiday in Rome, I come back and see that crosseyedsheep has taken up garden design.
Some great ideas in the drawing there, for what appears to be quite a large site.
I especially like the herb garden shape.
The existing growth surrounding the site should add a fair share of shelter which is important when growing fruit.

My suggestion would be to stagger the fruit trees slightly to blend with the informal countryside.

Thanks GPI. Don't worry I'm not planning on going into competition with you Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: