Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

Advice required as to what I can plant now???

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Jerrymc
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Advice required as to what I can plant now??? Reply with quote

I have just taken delivery of a Polytunnell. Its 20' by 10' by 6.5' high.

I have all the materials ready to go [Timber for beds, Topsoil, Sand, Horse manure etc]. Now I will construct the Tunnell over the next few days.

My problem is that I am a beginner, and living in Donegal.[I dont mean this is a problem....beautiful County], but its a few degrees colder than further south. I know its a little late in the Season, but I would like to try to plant some Veg [Lettuce, Onions, Potatoes, Strawberries etc]
I would welcome any advice you folks can give, as to what I should consider for this year. I will be better prepared next year.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the vegetable grower in our family, but what I have noticed is that the garden centres are full of young vegetable plants, all ready to go....why not experiment with a variety of these plants just to get you started while you think what else you can do ?
They wouldn't be on sale now if it wasn't the right time to plant them, I presume.
cathd
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The veg you've listed can all be grown quite easily outside, so planting a bit late just means you need to extend the season- which is exactly what you can do in a polytunnel.
Personally I'm not sure I'd bother with potatos in a tunnel- they take up alot of space- plus if you grow tomatoes- where a tunnel really comes into it's own- (you'll need to buy plants now- a bit late from seed) there's a risk of blight. If you get it on potatoes it will spread to tomatoes and strawberries.
Keep an eye out for courgette plants and squash plants too- I'd love a tunnel to extend the growing season- but they're great beginner's plants cos with a bit of care, water and good soil- you get loads of crop. (Don't plant too many or you'll get to hating the sight of courgettes)

Jerrymc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks indeed for the replies. Now to get it constructed, and planting.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potato blight does not affect strawberries. As a rule any crop that you can grow outside can be grown in a polytunnel but better value is got from the covered space by growing the more valuable crops early strawberries early potatoes early carrots. Courgettes will do alright outside from now onwards. Dont grow cabbage or Sprouts inside nor onions or leeks.
Early crops benefit from the tunnel and also late crops like salads at the end of the summer.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
cathd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael brenock wrote:
potato blight does not affect strawberries.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

Sorry, i should have clarified- I was referring to early blight or verticillium wilt, not the traditional or late potato blight we are more familiar with in Ireland.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: