Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Raised border edging

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
namloc
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Raised border edging Reply with quote

Hello. I want to create a raised border around the edge of my lawn to plant perennials, shrubs etc. I live in a newly built house (2005) and needless to say the soil is incredibly heavy clay stuff. I got the place rotovated and topsoil put in a few years ago but the ground is still very heavy and gets quite waterlogged during sustained periods of wet weather.

So anyway I want to create a raised border and I am looking for a bit of advice:

1. What is the best way to prepare the ground before topping up with topsoil etc. Where the border will be is about 25-30m in length.

2. Any ideas for the best edging to retain the raised bed?

Thanks
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Namloc.From the description of your Soil it sounds very much like you have "Daub" or "Dob" Soil. its very common in Housing Estates where you have heavy Machinery constantly compacting the ground during Construction.When you covered it in Top-soil you only covered the problem,the Rain got down through the coating of Top-soil but when it hit the "Daub" it had nowhere to go hence the flooding,I can only suggest a Drainage Channel towards a part of the Garden that does not have that problem.
If the proposed Beds suffer the same problem again I suggest putting another Drainage below them this would involve removing 2/3ft of Earth.I know this is a lot of hard work but its the only solution,as for Edging my own personal choice would be Railway Sleepers but at 25Euro each its going to be very costly,why not get in a load of Rocks from a local Quarry for a lot less,far more natural and satisfying when you make your own design.either way I wish you well .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: