Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

How do I know my asparagus is OK?

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
amroche
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: How do I know my asparagus is OK? Reply with quote

I planted some asparagus plants in raised beds at the end of March, about 15 green asparagus in one bed, and 15 white in the other. I followed all the instructions (soaking them, planting on ridges etc etc), its well fed good soil correct position and I know to leave them until the second year etc. But the other day I spotted one singular perfectly formed asparagus spear sticking out of the ground!!

So does this mean all the others have died, or this guy is just fast growing one? Should I have expected to see any growth from the rest of the plants by now, there is absolutley nothing but soil and no sign of growth other than this one individua spearl!! Living in the West in Mayo so climate usually a week or so behind the east coast?? Any expert advice appreciated.
cathd
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't grown asparagus, but I love eating it- and I can tell you that it's woefully late this year. So don't give up on it yet.
I was in france at Easter, and I usually gorge on their white asparagus then, but not a spear of it did I see. I even got to slowing down beside the plastic mulched fields to see if there was any sign of activity, and apart from the occasional diconsolate farmer wandering up and down the rows, poking hopeful holes in the mulch sheets... nothing!!

POPPY

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not alone, I'm in the exact same position, in Mayo as well, planted 30 crowns last April,checked on them this evening and eventually spotted one very lonely looking stalk that had come through. My problem now is the weeding and trying to keep on top of it.
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they certainly are slow coming up this year, quality of crowns will affect strike rate of course, i planted 20 lidl crowns last year and got 10 to come up filled in the gaps this year with aldi product (no variety named on pack) which came on nicely, though i did have them under glass to shelter them fom the wind to begin with, maybe your problem is they are too exposed or left in wet ground, have a look at the conditions
regards, Ian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: