Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Vine Weevil - Should I be worried?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
catman
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Vine Weevil - Should I be worried? Reply with quote

I had three pots that I had put snowdrops in over the winter. Two weeks ago I was transplanting the snowdrops to an area of the lawn when I found about forty or fifty little larvae in the compost from the pots. At the time I had no idea what insect these were from but collected them up and put them on the bird table. Was doing a bit of weeding in the beds tonight and spotted 3 vine weevils. Having looked up the internet I now recognise the grubs I found a few weeks ago as vine weevil larvae. A lot of the info I have found on the internet seem to have mixed messages as to whether you should actually do anything or not to get rid of them. They say that the insecticides used to kill the grubs and adults eating the plants can also be transferred to bees through nectar, killing the bees. Some seem to think the damage the vine weevil does is minimal compared to the effect of the insecticides. I'm a bit lost as to whether to just leave it and accept they are in the garden or whether to do anything about it. Anyone got any ideas or other less harmful remedies that work?
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adults feed on leavesof many types of leafy plants, trees and shrubs while the larvae feed on the roots. I have a few of the critters haunting my strawberries at the moment. Organically the only solution is to catch them usually at night and destroy them, there is a parasitic nematode that can be turned loose on them also called " Heterorhabditis spp " . Using a chemical usually has a knock on effect on some other bug that could be beneficial and I would try to stay organic if possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: