Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Inorganic fertilizers.

Most Recent Posts Free Carbons
Last post: Micks Garden
hello everyone
Last post: Blowin
weeping willow tree
Last post: Sue Deacon
greenhluse heating help needed
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Inorganic fertilizers. Reply with quote

My soil in the back garden is mostly subsoil with some old horse manure added and the leaves on some of my trees, shrubs and bamboos are very yellow.

I, not being an expert gardener, put this down to some sort of mineral defficiency and, as I've no room in the garden now to get in a trailerload of horse or cattle manure (which I prefer) from a nearby farm, I hoofed it off to the farmers' co-op to get some bags of artificial fertilizer.

I picked up 18-6-12. Did I do right or wrong?

Could someone explain the real life applications of the 10-10-20s and all the other three figure variations that are on the market? I've looked on the internet and did a search here but couldn't find a table of the relevant applications for all these combinations.

I must say, it's an awful lot easier to whiz a trowelful of this stuff through the air onto the base of a plant rather than horsing barrowloads of manure around the garden!

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Inorganic fertilizers. Reply with quote

Quote:
My soil in the back garden is mostly subsoil with some old horse manure added and the leaves on some of my trees, shrubs and bamboos are very yellow.

There are types of yellowing caused by by a lack of different minerals.
Nitrogen and/or iron being the most common i come across.
See here......... Yellow leaves on plants, causes and cures.
Read this and assess wheather you have a nitrogen or iron deficiency, and then take the remedy steps for either as outlined in the piece.

Quote:
I picked up 18-6-12. Did I do right or wrong?

If the issue is lack of nitrogen, then yes this may address it temporarily.
18-6-12 is used on grassland so is high in leaf growing and greening nitrogen.
These artificial fertilisers are quick acting but tend to was away after a while.
Hard to beat well rotted compost/farm-yard-manure for long term slow release.
Even an application of fish-blood and bone would be an option.
Fish blood and bone is a balanced plant food used to boost all-around fertility through its introduction of the 3 major plant nutrients, nitrogen 5, phosphorus 5, and potassium 6.5 (approximate balance).
So it is a 5-5-6.5 in a longer term release than 18-6-12.

Need materials?
Irish home delivery.

Need materials?
UK home delivery.

Need materials?
US home delivery.

Quote:

Could someone explain the real life applications of the 10-10-20s and all the other three figure variations that are on the market? I've looked on the internet and did a search here but couldn't find a table of the relevant applications for all these combinations.

Good article on the subject here.......... Understanding Fertilizer Numbers - N-P- K

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, James, for your very informative reply.

As the "soil" is heavy yellow clay, it could well be an iron defficiency, so I'll try some sulphate of iron as well.

I'll eventually work out a way of getting more manure into my garden. I think I'll ask a farmer to put some into those 1 ton bags that stones come in and then get him to bring it around here on his front loading forks. I've no room for a tractor to dump a trailerload of manure anywhere in the garden now without damaging overhanging branches or planted shrubs and perrenials.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
michael brenock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first figure refers to the Nitrogen (N) percentage. The second figure is for Phosphorus (P) and the last one is Potassium (K).
In UK the second figure refers to Phosphorus pentoxide (P2O5) and the third figure refers to Potash (K2O).
Yellowing in general especially at this time of year is more likely caused by Nitrogen shortage. Applying artificial fertilisers makes these nutrients readily available to plants wheres animal manures have to be broken down by bacteria to become available to plants.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: