Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Covers for raised beds

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Covers for raised beds Reply with quote

I had problems last year with torrential rain on my raised beds so I'm thinking about covering them with plastic, mini-polytunnel style.

I intend to fix protruding screws along each long side of the top edge of each bed and push 20mm water pipe on to each for the 'hoops'. Then drape clear plastic over and wrap each end of the plastic with a length of timber to weigh it down. The ends would be left open for ventilation.

A few questions:

Is this a good idea?
What height should I make the top of the hoops?
How many would I need for a 2m long bed?
What size of timber (depth x heighth) to weigh the plastic down?

Thanks in advance.
Gardening Daddy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Covers for raised beds Reply with quote

Hi Yorky,

I did something similar with my 8x4 foot raised beds. I had thought about a plastic cover originally but after doing some research I opted for fleece instead. The reason for this was I wanted to protect the plants from insects as well as heavy rains and late spring frosts while allowing air to circulate. My main concern with your approch would be the open ends allowing insects in, whereas the fleece will allow all over protection without over heating. The plastic will no doubt protect from heavy rains but unless you've got a good irrigation/ watering regime or are planning on taking it on and off as needed which seems like a bit more work than a lazy gardener like myself is prepared to do, it will involve a lot of monitoring, and remember plants prefer rain water over tap water as it contains necessary minerals not generally found in abundance in tap water. I'm not a fleece sales man (or a fleecing sales man... sorry, terrible joke) but from what I can see the fleece servers most of my needs by giving protective cover from late spring chills or frost, dispersing heavy rains & avoiding damage to plants while still allowing essential rain water to get to through while protecting against insects attacks (not a 100% effective I'm sure but then again what is?) and apparently it also provides some protection against scorching in full sun...is there anything it can't do?  So I guess unless you're actually after full overhead cover with the plastic it might be worth considering, but as I say that's just my experience. The only caveat, yes there's always one, that I can see is it may not be as durable as plastic but it does come in different grades and prices so shop around. It can be applied the same way as the plastic as you said "fix protruding screws along each long side of the top edge of each bed and push 20mm water pipe on to each for the 'hoops'. Then drape clear plastic over" (or in my case fleece) "and wrap each end of the plastic with a length of timber to weigh it down"

Best of luck with which ever method you choose!
GD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: