Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

shady tree garden ,MY Jungle

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
blondie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: shady tree garden ,MY Jungle Reply with quote

I have part of my garden planted in trees,mostly silver birch, 2 sycamore, 2 blackthorn, grisellinia,2 elder, 4 palm, etc etc...I have an area that is dome shaped but litterly rubble,I am looking to know what perrenial flowers and bulbs I can plant for colour ,and spred and speed growth....I have no way of getting the rubble removed and clay soil but anything I grow seems to grow well,I have the ground covered for most with plastic and gravel.I cant leave it exposed as i am riddled with elder if I do.spent years trying to dig it out so this was my only option.I love my jungle but would like to introduce colour to inhance its beauty.So can anyone please advise ,I would like it to be able to do its own thing without having to disturb the area or trees too much..I love the informal natural look...Oh yes its in a shady part and is has a lot more shade in summer,so shade loving perrenials and bulbs are a must...Thanks you in advance.

blondie

Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howya blondie, heres just a few ideas

BULBS
Anemone,Cyclamen,Crocus,Snowdrop, Bluebell, Daffodil, Grape hyacinth, Star of bethlehem,Wake robin.

PERENNIALS
Aster, Foxglove, Dicentra, Masterwort, Euphorbia,Gentian, Hosta, Lupin, Primrose, Peony, Phlox.

EVERGREEN SHRUBS
Aucuba japonica, Berberis darwinii, Mahonia, Holly, Photinia, Pieris japonica, Skimmia,Viburnum.

DECIDUOUS SHRUBS
Dogwood,Witch hazel, Hydrangea,Fuschia, Magnolia, Weigela.

CLIMBERS
Clematis, Cotoneaster horizontalis, Ivy, Winter jasmine, Virginia creeper, Firethorn.

GROUND COVER
Elephants ears, Euonymus fortunei, Wintergreen, Creeping jenny,Catmint, St johns worth, Comfrey

This is just a quick selection there is also a myriad of :grasses, ferns, bamboos, small trees and bedding plants that can be used. Just check that they are suitable for your soil type. Best of luck .

blondie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: colour my jungle Reply with quote

Thank you for all your ideas and taking the time to share them with me.I have such a variety now to be buying and planting that I hope the weather will allow me to get going.As soon as there is something to show I will take photos to show you.Again thank you..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: