Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Roses in Ireland

roses! do you get what you pay for

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
leslie Wylie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: roses! do you get what you pay for Reply with quote

When buying roses is the price quoted a guide to the quality
I have purchased a number of new roses in recent years but am very disappointed with them they seem to lack the growth of older roses that I have

avs0020
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leslie. I understand your frustration and dont have any definitive answer. However last year I was given a gift voucher for David Austin and now have over 25 of his roses and around 40 in total. The first batch of austin roses are only in their second year but I am blown away by their beauty.

Apart from more roses than you can imagine, his website also has a lot of info about varieties including the old faithfuls from our childhood. And they deliver to Ireland (although only after November). My absolute favorites would be the old Gallicas but there are so many to choose from. They have a catalogue that is excellent!!!!! and can be posted out to you for free. Mine has become a trusty reference book.

There are as many roses as there are personal preferences. If you're not enjoying yours dig them up and please start again. There are so many beautiful roses. Hope you wont mind that i attached 2 photos from last year (my first 2 before the 25 gifts arrived - really looking forward to this year)

Eglantyne.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.31 KB
 Viewed:  4912 Time(s)

Eglantyne.JPG

William Lobb.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.7 KB
 Viewed:  4912 Time(s)

William Lobb.JPG

leslie Wylie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reg Maxwell solved my problem of you get what you pay for in roses. At the tulip festival in Glenarm on Sunday he was speaking on care of roses when he said I quote 'Dicksons and McG ready when they were grafting roses only used English rootstock this give a strong plant which was capable of growing for up to 100 years present day grafters use a rootstock which has only a life span of 10 years at the most So if you have old roses treat them with the respect they deserve and they will give pleasure to your grandchildren
avs0020

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why cant we stick with the "old ways". how on eath does anyone know on purchase if they have a good graft. My neighbour planted a rose to honour the birth of her now 22-year old daughter. Get such a thrill everytime I see it. Good luck with your roses
maxturbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avs0020 wrote:
Hi Leslie. I understand your frustration and dont have any definitive answer. However last year I was given a gift voucher for David Austin and now have over 25 of his roses and around 40 in total. The first batch of austin roses are only in their second year but I am blown away by their beauty.

Apart from more roses than you can imagine, his website also has a lot of info about varieties including the old faithfuls from our childhood. And they deliver to Ireland (although only after November). My absolute favorites would be the old Gallicas but there are so many to choose from. They have a catalogue that is excellent!!!!! and can be posted out to you for free. Mine has become a trusty reference book.

There are as many roses as there are personal preferences. If you're not enjoying yours dig them up and please start again. There are so many beautiful roses. Hope you wont mind that i attached 2 photos from last year (my first 2 before the 25 gifts arrived - really looking forward to this year)

I also have sowed a few David Austin roses in the last few years and they are a fantastic rose. I know they are expensive but are worth it. Only problem with David Austin roses I find is there head is top heavy and can break easliy. Old english roses are good if you can get them.
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin roses are about the only roses I don't mind paying for because they are always good quality.
I have Geoff Hamilton and Margaret Merril which are lovely scented roses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Roses in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: