Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

my watergarden im currently building

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Cleaaning polytunels/greenhouses.
Last post: tagwex
I'm new here
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
David
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: my watergarden im currently building Reply with quote

Hi folks this is my watergarden im currently building.Its been a real struggle,im 24 and still learning,i dug this pond all by hand,which was a nightmare,i started in the summer of 2004.
The deisign i came up with is to have a deck looking out onto the water. a waterfall will start off with a stone cave at the top,from here the water will leave the cave and run down through a few mini pools and flow into the main pond.
I plan on building a little small tea house in the top corner beside the waterfall ,looking down on everything,and which will act as a main focal point to the design.I will be using a lot of rocks and plants to give it a really natural look.
I am just about to start dressing the pond with stone and peashingle at present.I lined the construction with a special rotproof underlay and then used butyl rubber as the pond liner,on top of this i placed an extra layer of underlay and scrap liner over the butyl to protect it from the stones.

verge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Watergarden looks good so far Reply with quote

Wow, thats a massive project. It looks really professional with the terraced cascades and the shelved pond. I look forward to following gyour progress.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Step by Step Water Feature Guide Reply with quote

I am really impressed with the construction of your water garden so far, David.
Everything seems to be shaping up nicely.
I notice as well that you have some of the stone now onsite for your feature.
It would be great if at some stage you could document a step by step guide to the construction of your water feature.
Items such as how to prepare the ground, where to source materials and pitfalls you came across.
If all this was displayed on IG it would help encourage and inform many members in the ways of the water feature.
Keep up the good work.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
MargeSimpson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's impressive, really impressive!

I spent several months digging my new build garden so I kinda know how hard it is to face a digging project. But that is great work. I'd love to see more piccies as time goes on.
You must have building experience or are you a novice builder?
David

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much,i started out a complete novice into the unknown,i thought myself basically and got lots of advice from experts,books,its a mad adventure a daunting one at times.I quit a number of times throughout,as it was becoming to much but as im doing this for my parents who dont keep well im determined to succeed..
Chris_IE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Having dug a Very small pond by hand, I can appreciate what back breaking labour went into your project. It looks amazing and I look forward to seeing the end product. Good Luck!
foamcutter
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

just flicking through some old posts and came across your "water garden". It was very impressive when you posted in October ............... I was curious to see how it turned out if that is'nt too cheeky.

Cheers

Fran
Rockworld

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, any update on your pond. It looks very impresive so far.
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay its been a while,heres a glimpse of the waterfall,not fully complete but you get a clear idea,The water emerges from a stone cave i built and cascades down over the rocks in the mini pools into the pond.I have a deck built looking out onto the pond and a teahouse built aswell.At the present moment the water is drained out of the pond,as i have to start putting my plants in.
The rocks i used were weathered and had coverings of moss which gave the look an instant natural effect.My aim was to have every waterfall differant,differant patterns of flow,curtain falls and tumbling falls,split falls,it looks more convincing ,i still have to build the bridge to go over the falls.
I used a special product from america waterfall expanding foam to waterproof beneath the spill stones,and around it to guide the flow and prevent any sideways seepage.I used a variety of rock sizes large and small.To appreciate my waterfall you really have to see it in person you know,there is an art and a feel to it,as i have learned and taught myself.
The grotto i built out of reinforced steel which had to be bended into an arch and concreted into the header pool,i then built the stone around the arch and back,and from there i plastered the inside with a few layers of lime enriched mortar to help it stick,the final layer i then stuck random size beach pebbles into the final layer of plaster in degrees,tthe whole inside i have done in beach pebbles it was painstaking but it worked very well
The pond as you see is drained out ,at present which you dont see here,i have all the liner disguised completely on the inside,when finished not a speck of liner will be seen,the pea shingle ive used will act as a natural biological filter and the oxygenators floaters,lillies and marginals will all play their part too in the process,i dont aim to have any fish i just want it to be a natural wildlife pond,i would love to get ducks
around the pond i aim to plant a lot of grasses since they require not that much maintainace,and some bamboos and sedges.
I will post more when i get more completed which should be very soon.
This project im doing for my parents,and i just wish a designer out there could see my work and talent and nurture my talents on to bigger and better things,beacuse so far i have been let down by a lot of people in life.

David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful work David. You and your parents should be rightly proud of the water feature. I cannot wait to see it in all its finished glory plus planting. These pictures are an inspiration to those of us still to create our own water garden.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David thats super work. Loads of interest from the different waterfall types. Stick at it as you will get noticed. Wink
David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads very much really appreciate your comments,i drove down to clonmel today to get the oxygenators,cant seem to get them anywhere local,the variety i choose where elodea crispa also known as canadian pond weed,i only got about 6 bunches as they are quiet vigourous.im looking into the waterlillies aswell.I got a big 1 tonne bag of beach pebbles delivered today so i will use them for around the edges of the pond and the beach area,the pebbles really do the business,they are expensive but worth it,if you are after that really natural look
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
i drove down to clonmel today to get the oxygenators,cant seem to get them anywhere local,the variety i choose where elodea crispa also known as canadian pond weed,i only got about 6 bunches as they are quiet vigourous.

Six should be more than enough once those guys get growing away. Mighty fine water feature by the way.
David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
David thats super work. Loads of interest from the different waterfall types. Stick at it as you will get noticed. Wink

[b]thank you very much but as regards myself getting noticed,i certainly will not get anywhere in this country,this country is bottom of the list when it comes to watergarden design, there is nothing here for the likes of me,this country is lightyears behind in this industry then again its behind in everything really,i want to be trained and my current skills to be broadened and to become more experienced,but there is just no where here ,america im afraid is the place to be,they are well ahead in this industry an example would be aquascape designs.
I was in contact recently with a guy who represents aquascapes designs over here,he goes back and forth to america and does a lot of watergarden projects here and he says the standard here in this country for this area of work is very poor,there is nothing here,its useless

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: