Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Emptying a compost bin: that time of year again.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Emptying a compost bin: that time of year again. Reply with quote

It is that time of year again when I empty the compost bin. Once again I am amazed at the quantity of material produced and the quality of the material, given that all that was given to the composter was kitchen peelings, lots of paper, tea bags, grass cuttings, shredded wood etc.

the material is going straight onto new hedging being put out on the roadside ditch, ( a little late I know but hopefully will be ok ). Once emptied I will put old weeds collected during the veg plt dig out at the base of the composter again and start over composting again for next spring.

I have an 8 foot by 8 foot by 4 foot high, producing i reckon maybe 2 tonnes of compost material in a year.

this year i will upgrade the composter by putting insulation boads on the side panels and 2 insulation boards as a roof, to speed up the compost process. Regular temperature readings with fresh grass had composter temps exceeding 50 deg C .

I noticed the south facing wall of the composter was particularily hot and particularily productive in making compost due to the heat, so I hope to replaicte the conditions around the composter.

Worms had migrated to the composter top layers as all the bottom layers were fully composted.

worms paticularily liked newspaper for breeding in, christmas tree branches, and quantities of dry material for breeding.

no particular layering in use, just material added as it was produced around the garden. Plan to add poor sandy soil and subsoil dug up during tree planting this year to mix in with new compost.
Michael196

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S no Wireworms detetced during digging out of the compost bin so far.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a big heap....how many of those do you have ? We use a series of smaller 3ft x 3ft ones, and as one fills up we cover it and move to the next ( all made out of pallets )The big ones heat up much better, so we may adapt ours as time goes by...maybe 6ft x 3ft would be better?
Emptying the heaps is a job I dread (being no spring chicken any more !) but it does such wonders for the soil and swallows up so much that would otherwise go to landfill, that I just couldn't ever give up making compost....it's been a way of life for me for over thirty years, and I've converted many non-believers in that time !
Michael196

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have one of those, I have often thought of breaking down to smaller composters, but limited space dictates one large one with one empty per year.

it is rewarding for all the collecting don in the kitchen over the year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: