Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

How to Grow Pepper??

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
keano97
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: How to Grow Pepper?? Reply with quote

I planted pepper seeds about 2 weeks ago, put the pot in a plastic bag for heat - Took care of them. This morning I woke up and found that the seeds had germinated and there are seedlings now. What do I do - any tips?? My friend grows peppers and recommends tying them to a stake when they start making peppers b/c the weight of the pepper will break the plants stem???? Please any tips on what to do!!!Smile)SmileRazz
sharonl
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Very Happy When they get their first set of true leaves, (these are not the initial 2 pointed leaves when the seed germinates, but the next set of proper leaves) transplant them into a pot to grow on . Give them plenty of light and keep them indoors for now until their bigger. When they eventually start putting out flowers feed them with tomato plant food and using a small thin paint brush or eyeshadow brush, go from flower to flower 'tickling' the inside of each flower to transfer the pollen and you should hopefully have some peppers.
keano97

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Pepper Reply with quote

Thanks ... will do that!!!Smile Hopefully I will have peppers this year? Does any one know how long it will take from seedling to plant with peppers. Do you have to pull off all flowers for the first year like strawberries or whats the case???
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your peppers will flower and fruit this year. Generally people throw the plants out at the end of the year, but others cut it back and overwinter it for an earlier crop the following year.

This is my first year growing them so havent any experience of over wintering. Ive grown 4 or 5 varieties this year, all are about 5 inches tall now Smile
luclancy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm a real newbie to all this. I have a polytunnel this year and have happily made gardening my full time hobby. I have sowed and germinated 4 pepper seeds which are in the polytunnel. I have done all that's been advised to care for them, but for about 3 weeks now they seedlings (which are still just the two original seedling leaves) seem dormant??? No growth, no new leaves, but also still appear 'alive'. Any ideas????
Thanks,
Lu.
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried peppers and chilis and most of them have germinated but I seem to be in the same boat as luclancy. I'm guessing they need more heat?

You finding the same keano97?
paul5000

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppers need lots of light and warmth, here is some chilis i sowed in early Feb in heated propagator and just planted into poly tunnel beds 2 weeks ago. they are covered in fleece every night. Chilis have a very long growing season, hence the very early start.

Photo0605.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.44 KB
 Viewed:  2471 Time(s)

Photo0605.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: