Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Carrot growing advice needed please

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Carrot growing advice needed please Reply with quote

I considered sowing carrots today but fear it's too cold yet plus there was a frost last night. (North east of Ireland).

The site is a raised bed which was covered in autumn leaves last October but they didn't rot down over winter so I removed them last week. The bed needed topping up so I put two bags of old peat free compost which I used to grow potatoes in last year. Should I fork this in or just sow directly in to the compost? The soil underneath is heavyish clay but not compacted from walking on as it's in a raised bed.

Also, I fancy having a go at growing long carrots in an old dustbin for a country show in August. Can anyone suggest how to go about this ie sowing rate and growing medium etc.

Thanks in advance.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Forking Reply with quote

Strange things can happen if conditions aren't right.....

rude veg.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.64 KB
 Viewed:  6374 Time(s)

rude veg.JPG

Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might solve the question as to how carrots multiply.................... Laughing

Personally I use a calculator. Laughing

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Carrot growing advice needed please Reply with quote

Quote:
The bed needed topping up so I put two bags of old peat free compost which I used to grow potatoes in last year. Should I fork this in or just sow directly in to the compost?

Fork it in.

Quote:
The soil underneath is heavyish clay but not compacted from walking on as it's in a raised bed.

As you are dealing with a root vegetable, deep, fertile, and slightly sandy soil is preferred. The sand aids drainage as well as allowing the soil to warm up as quickly as possible in spring. If your soil is sticky, stony, or shallow, then I suggest you instead opt for sowing short-rooted carrot varieties in early summer..... Chantenay Red Cored 2 for example.

Quote:
Also, I fancy having a go at growing long carrots in an old dustbin for a country show in August. Can anyone suggest how to go about this ie sowing rate and growing medium etc.

Check out this in-depth article on carrot growing for further tips..... Carrot growing - Carrots how to grow, tips, varieties, cooking.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Carrot Seed Economy Reply with quote

I had a tip passed on to me recently which I'm going to try this year.

Carrot seed, as we know, is very fine and therefore difficult to sow thinly. It then becomes necessary to waste most of your crop through thinning.

My informant tells me that you should mix a solution of ordinary wallpaper paste -NOT FUNGICIDAL - and put your seed in it. Stir thoroughly and it will separate the individual seeds nicely. Then, using the process for icing cakes, take a tough polythene bag, fill it with the mixture, cut off a corner and you can then 'pipe' it into the drill you've prepared (or the length of guttering/eave shute if you start yours that way).

I'm told that, not only does this do the separation for you but the wallpaper paste contains nutrients that give the seed a good start. The fungicidal sort actually kills the seed.

treehugger
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soil intended to grow carrots should ideally be manured the previous autumn ,
the addition of organic matter before you sow usually results in a crop of carrots with forked roots .
It might be a good idea to use a part of the raised bed where you have not added compost.
The carrots in the bin sounds like a good idea, try find yourself some good quality loam or you could lighten up your heavy clay with the addition of fine horticultural sand( do not use builders sand) .

Happy growing.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing carrots in a barrel or container such as a pipe, for exhibiting at a show should be sown in a deep stone free medium to light loam. the soil should be well mixed with any fresh soil added in. Sow seeds about 2-3 inches apart. Thin out to 6 inches apart as they get bigger (say 2 inches high) and thin out finally to 10-12 inches. Always keep them moist and free of weeds. keep a sharp look out for slugs aphids and carrot fly. The latter is kept out by covering with fleece or close net. Grow in a warm place that is well sheltered, good drainage is essential for good length.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: