Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

mushrooms

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
doc
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: mushrooms Reply with quote

hi all.
i am thinking about growing a few mushrooms in the pollytunnel.would well rotted cow manure work or would i have to use horse manure?.any advice on the best way to go about it would be welcome.

cheers.johnie.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the growing of mushrooms is not easy. get as much manure as you can and put it in a nice compact heap 45-60 cm(18-24ins) deep. leave it there until it rots and the temperature within the heap rises, then remake the heap by mixing well. wait till it heats again and when the temperature has risen and steadied off put the compost rotting manure in a box in the glasshouse or indoors and put in spawn (mushroom seed) about one inch (2.5 cms) deep. After 5-7 days examine the spawn pieces and see if the spawn is running (producing small white thread-like roots). if it is running, but not before, cover the compost with about half inch of soil. keep moist and even temperature of 60 deg. and wait for mushrooms to appear. it is not easy.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
doc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi michael,and thanks for your reply.does the manure have to be fresh as i have a load of well rotted cow manure,but i have access to horse manure in various stages of decomposition.also does the manure have to be warm for the spores to germinate?

cheers.johnie.
michael brenock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horse manure is better, mix the fresh and the stale together and add the cow manure. There should be a good proportion of straw present as this helps to maintain the temperature which is necessary for the spawn to run or grow. I do not deal with mushrooms in my book as i consider them to be too hard.
monkeynic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of the mushroom growing kits you can buy? Any good?
michael brenock

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen only one of those kits being successful. There is a better chance of being successful at this time of the year than in winter. Follow the instructions carefully and wait until the temperature is high enough before spawning. do not cover or "case" until spawn has run. Never allow to dry out.
monkeynic

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, keep trying to decide if they are worth the money or not, the kit I've seen is ten euros and just cant help wondering if you would get ten euros worth of mushrooms from it.
raisedbed

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a kit from homebase this year priced under 8 euro.I started the kit in a press in my bedroom (a mushroom in each ear would have been perfect to drown out the complaints from the other half ) then when the spawn started to run I covered it with the compost that came with the kit and returned it to the press for another 8 days.I had to keep checking it to see was there any of the little white strains comming to the surface and cover them with more compost.After 8 days i put them into my the greenhouse and put the tooth picks into the lid to create an opening,after about 2 weeks of nothing happening i decided to take them from the greenhouse and put them into my back porch,which turned out to be a good decision as the mushrooms have went mad and are comming up all over the place Very Happy.The pictures attached are cropped to make the 256kb file size but there is alot more mushrooms than in the picture.

mushroom1a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.02 KB
 Viewed:  5083 Time(s)

mushroom1a.jpg

mushroom2a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  249.17 KB
 Viewed:  5083 Time(s)

mushroom2a.jpg

monkeynic

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks great. What was the name of the kit you bought? I've seen two different ones. Confused
raisedbed

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homebase GROW YOUR OWN White Mushroom Kit
monkeynic

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Smile No homebase around here but may end up investing in one after all. Smile
Tatty Hoaker

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raisedbed wrote:
I purchased a kit from homebase this year priced under 8 euro.I started the kit in a press in my bedroom (a mushroom in each ear would have been perfect to drown out the complaints from the other half ) then when the spawn started to run I covered it with the compost that came with the kit and returned it to the press for another 8 days.I had to keep checking it to see was there any of the little white strains comming to the surface and cover them with more compost.After 8 days i put them into my the greenhouse and put the tooth picks into the lid to create an opening,after about 2 weeks of nothing happening i decided to take them from the greenhouse and put them into my back porch,which turned out to be a good decision as the mushrooms have went mad and are comming up all over the place Very Happy.The pictures attached are cropped to make the 256kb file size but there is alot more mushrooms than in the picture.

Thanks raisedbed for your advice and use of photos. Will def try this myself now. Do you think i still have time to plant them this season?
PS. This site is of great help to budding gardeners!
foxxx

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. ive tried two different methods for mushrooms,grow kits and spawn packs in the last two years and both of them were an absolute disaster.for the amount of mushroom crop your money is better in your pocket.(you would buy alot for 10 euro) the most mushrooms i could harvest at any one time was 6-8 . they were too inconsistant in size.i was also promised multiple crops on packets which turned out to be rubbish even though i followed the instruction to the letter even down to temp controll.
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really keen to grow mushrooms, it's quite easy to experiment 'on the cheap'. The easiest bit is getting the spores.

Buy yourself a small quantity of 'flat' (as opposed to 'button') mushrooms from your local shop. Buy the biggest ones you can find and lay them, gills (black side) down, on a plate. After two or three days there'll be a thickish black stain under each one. These are the spores, millions of them, and, just like the commercial providers do, roll a small handful of wheat grains round and round the plate so that each one picks up some of the black spores. This is exactly what a commercial grower would buy.

A proper (dark) mushroom shed will consist of several rows of trays, 6-8ins deep, that are filled with hot, steamy, fresh horse manure. This is also easy to replicate on a domestic scale but, commercially, the sheds are then closed up and heated for several days. Whether this is to kill off bugs or speed up decomposition, I don't know but, when this is done, the wheat grains are scattered on the surface, the door closed again and the mushrooms left to grow.

Achieving the heat for this latter part of the process won't be as easy but an outside central heating boiler house may do the trick or, in summer, a prominent spot in a greenhouse may suffice. Either way, you can experiment as much as you like because the mushrooms that provided the spores will have been eaten on toast for breakfast anyway and the cost will have been nil.

monkeynic

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Blowin. Might give it a go that way. Would def be a lot cheaper than buying kits or spore, plus at least I know I'll get some useful mushrooms out of it, even if just the original ones. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: