Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Trees obstructing light and views

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
julie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Trees obstructing light and views Reply with quote

Our house stands on half an acre. It is bordered by dry stone walls. The back wall is at a distance of approximately 25m from the back of the house and across this wall, at time of purchase 10 years ago, we enjoyed views of distant hills/low mountains. Behind the back wall is a huge field, not owned by us.
My issue is that very small conifers that were present at time of purchase directly behind our back wall, having been planted by the owners of the field, have subsequently grown to a height of at least 30ft. They are very bunched together, and, I think, at least 2 rows thick. Their effect has been to transform our garden from being very bright to being shrouded in shadow for the early part of the day. Our views have vanished, to be replaced by tall conifers. There is no privacy issue as the field is used to graze horses.
Our neighbour has a similar issue with the owners of the field. He is under the impression that the conifer planting does not comply with Coillte regulations; that they should be planted at least 100ft from our wall, and lopped at 30ft. Neither of us has discussed the matter with the owner as we are unsure as to whether we have any legal rights or whether our only hope is to rely on his better nature (not an immediately apparent feature with this particular individual). Has anyone any advice?
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and have a chat with the owner of the field first before doing anything else.

Be prepared to offer to pay for the cost of cutting/removing of the trees yourself.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sorry for your trouble...this is a situation that can only be resolved by neighbourly co-operation as I don't think there is any legal redress ( someone correct me if I'm wrong )
Apart from the fact that you have no legal right to sunlight or a view, I suspect you are on even shakier ground because the trees were already planted when you bought the house. As for the Coillte regulations, if such things exist, I presume they only refer to commercial conifer plantations.
Is there any way you can make some contact with this neighbour and then ask him would he mind if you kept the height of the trees to an agreed level......and that you would pay for someone to do this regularly. Don't even mention removing the trees........most people don't like being told what to do, and you are totally dependent on this person's goodwill.
Is this your eastern boundary ? If so, it would mean plenty of sun in that part of the garden in the evening. Plant some eye catching small trees and shrubs, using the conifers as a backdrop and that may diminish the annoyance you feel.
Otherwise cut your losses and move, if you think these trees are going to grow ever taller. I know someone who did just that......not everyone cares about sun and gardening, you may find a buyer who doesn't mind the trees.
paul5000
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chat to the farmer first thing tomorrow. Be nice. Funny he did the same thing for your neighbour. Maybe he doesn't was anyone looking a him when he is out in his field. Might be shy............!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: