Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Rough guide to pest repellant plants

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
crosseyedsheep
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Rough guide to pest repellant plants Reply with quote

The table below is a rough guide to pest repellant plants, it's a compilation of info I gathered from the web, The key at the top numbers 1 to 9 give a quick indication as to how the plant should be used. As I mentioned it's a rough guide, to find out more details Google the pest name, plant name and the word "repellant" and you should get some hits. It can also give you some pointers for companion planting, as an example onions/alliums repel carrotfly so plant these together etc.

Regarding the pest column on the right, you will note that fly, house fly, carrot fly etc are entered seperately, I recorded the info as I found it, as I said above it's a rough guide and you may need to do further research:

cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Rough guide to pest repellant plants Reply with quote

Thanks for putting all that together crosseyedsheep. I hope to makegood use of it as I try to use as little chemicals as possible. It would be great if the Acorus would deter the small house flies.
crosseyedsheep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, No problem, I came acoss some interesting info, I'll update the post with more details over time.

Quote:
It would be great if the Acorus would deter the small house flies.

But remember it's the essential oil of the Acorus, but I did come across a reference to the growing plant repelling mosquitos. Acorus essential oil was the only mention that was specific to "House flies", Some of the plants and methods opposite "flies" will probably work as well.

Some of the plants above can also be used as Insecticides, again do some research to get more info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: