Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Grow bags in my greenhouse, need a little guidance.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next  
Most Recent Posts Good Guy went to Keuchenhof Gardens, The Netherlands
Last post: Ado 2
Horse manure in bags?
Last post: Sue Deacon
hello everyone
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Good guy

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Grow bags in my greenhouse, need a little guidance. Reply with quote

Hi. I have a number of grow bags in my greenhouse...im not sure how i should lay them out...or what i should grow! maybe you guys can suggest something for 6 &7.

1. Mini Cucumber x 2
2. Baby Carrots x 25
3. Peppers Mixed Sweet Chilli x 3
4. Tomato x 2
5. Tomato x 2
8. Potatoes (just to see what happens!)
9. Radish x 75
10. Mixed Salad

Quote:
Idea Help us help you! Your post has been edited by moderator to add a descriptive title.
Original title too generic....... (Need a little guidance.)
Members should try to use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic.
This helps others find your post, allowing you to receive replies, plus it leaves a searchable store of information for gardeners coming after you........ see rule 11 http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about27.html

IMG_1437.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.76 KB
 Viewed:  39080 Time(s)

IMG_1437.JPG

MacFistycuffs
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about courgette, aubergine or dwarf french bean?
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: bags and bags of growbags Reply with quote

I'd suggest 6 and 7 be used also for potatoes, since you have Bag 8 earmarked for same. Potatoes have first earlies, second earlies and maincrop in the spud-cycle. Three bags would allow you to have new spuds late May (since you are using a greenhouse), a second supply maybe a month later and then a crop which you might work on from September.

I presume you know how to grow spuds-in-a-bag, but the most important thing is water. If your tomatoes AND potatoes are getting enough, the athmosphere in the house will be hot and humid. Just check that other plants listed are happy with humidity.

A word of caution. Tomatoes and potatoes are closely related and both 'suffer' from infections of blight. But tomatoes die within days' of getting ANY sign of blight (unless there are new strains I don't yet know about?)

Nozebleed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no..i dont know how exactly how i water my spuds. I have earlies in bag 8. think there's 3 seeds. I've been reading up on watering for the last few days, but i dont quite have a handle on it.

Maybe you could tell me how i should water..what daily weekly routine is best for..

Tomato
Cucumber
Potato
Peppers

thanks..
walltoall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Other comments by other contributors appreciated Reply with quote

Since your excellent photo shows that you are growing the spuds in a pretty porous plastic bag , watering is easy. You can't really water them too much because the excess will simply leak away.

This is total different from a grow-bag (tom-bag) which is intentionally waterproof to HOLD water.

Just use a watering can over the top of the bag every morning preferably early. This gives the water time to sink down into the loam before evaporation starts for the day. Don't let the bag get too heavy with water. A good splash every morning is probably enough. The heat of the sun and the evaporation will moisten the air in the house, and this is a perfect environment for blight so make sure the windows are open on sunny days before 9am (and doors too if it's really sultry.)

The spuds should really have been put into a quarter bag of loam and once the shoots appear you gradually add a trowel or so of loam from a bag alongside, so that you keep burying the growing stalk but without covering it. I do notice you have the bag turned back on itself which is the right thing to do and you may be ok as you are. The lower down in the bag the seed is th more spuds you are likely to harvest. But the roots need a good 9" below them, You could still move them if they are in less than a week.

Other comments by other contributors appreciated here as I am a long way from the actual scene

sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic, but would you mind sharing where you can buy these type of bags you have used?

Thanks!
walltoall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: grow bag gardening Reply with quote

You don't have to buy those kind of bags. They are same material as a number of longlife supermarket bags. In UK similar bags (with handles) are used for refuse collections and such. Gardening is about making do and lateral thinking just as much as it about watering and weeding.
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: grow bag gardening Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
You don't have to buy those kind of bags. They are same material as a number of longlife supermarket bags. In UK similar bags (with handles) are used for refuse collections and such. Gardening is about making do and lateral thinking just as much as it about watering and weeding.

In Ireland, it either buy them or rob them! I know the bags you mean but they are not as big and round, and usually are a couple of euro each in the supermarket.
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding the bags i bought them in Heatons (The Square Tallaght Dublin 24) €5 for 2 pack of either tomato,potato,strawberry bags..they're are great value when compared to B&Q Woodies and such.

When i set up all my bags i places about 2-3 inches of small stone down the bottom to aid drainage..and the soil i used was 33L veg grow bag soil.

Potato. I did plant them at the start of march 1st earlies. the roots were about 5" long already having been in chitting indoors for about a month. Now the leaves were starting to show through the soil and i covered them with about 1-2" of soil...should i remove and let the leaves break through the soil? To be honest i've watered the spuds about 3 times! when i first planted them the soil was damp so i didnt want to over do it..

What is Loam?? !! what a question! and another question...I was looking at my strawberry plants today and some leaves have a few small white spots on them...what is this? and what can i do?

thanks!!!
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just posting a revamped pic.

IMG_1437.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.41 KB
 Viewed:  38848 Time(s)

IMG_1437.JPG

sirpsycho

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for maybe the dumb question - but have you planted the seeds for the carrots/onions/peppers directly into the grow bags already and are you intending on transplanting them when they get bigger?

ps. Just realised if you right-click on the images and "View image" you get to see a bigger image. Great clear photos by the way. Might pop-up to Heatons later today Wink
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did sow carrots directly into the bag..baby carrots tho. should be interesting to see what happens they're just starting to show through the soil. Onions and Peppers are still in the kitchen window...onion is in a soil tray approx 25 shoots I will plant the into the bag mid april..where they'll stay...same with the peppers they are approx 3" tall with 5-6 leaves already,planted in a 3" pot. i'll plant them into the grow bag around mid april i think.

Its all trial and error. I've never done this before but im jumping in at the deep end hoping i get some sort of result.

I do a weekly photo from here on in just for the craic.

Thanks
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby Carrots Starting to show through.

Q. When should i move them out of the greenhouse? I was going to do it Mid-April is this ok?

Baby Carrot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.05 KB
 Viewed:  38797 Time(s)

Baby Carrot.jpg

Nozebleed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chilli & Mix Pepper

Chilli & Sweet Mini Mix Pepper.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.68 KB
 Viewed:  38794 Time(s)

Chilli & Sweet Mini Mix Pepper.jpg

Nozebleed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought some cucumber today!

Cucumber.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.43 KB
 Viewed:  38791 Time(s)

Cucumber.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 1 of 41

Jump to: