Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Grow bags in my greenhouse, need a little guidance.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next  
Most Recent Posts Fountain..........
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
nibbler
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning to do something similar myself, although with Oca instead of spuds. Peas at the back facing south, Oca at the front. The Oca was slow to bush up last year so I reckon the Peas will be out of the traps and up over the Oca in no time. It's good to experiment;-)
Sneachta
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Nozebleed, giving me ideas here too!

Nibbler what time of year did you plant the Oca before?, It's my first time this year and was planning to sow around mid April as I think the last of the frosts should be hopefully gone by then here close to the sea.
nibbler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sneachta, the Oca were planted around the middle of April with the maincrop spuds. But whilst the spuds (Setantas) were up in the middle of May, the Oca took their time and only appeared at the end of June. Last year was my first time growing them and I thought I'd planted them too deep (I planted them deep in the furrow because I wanted to mound them up later). I needn't have worried - they're a fantastic fuss-free crop to grow. I kept them covered with fleece once the frosts set in and then uncovered them a couple of weeks before Christmas. Dug them up Christmas week and let them ripen for a while. Unusual taste, slightly tangy but lovely all the same. I've a couple of small food critics here and they got the thumbs up. There's the test;-)
Lius
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Chitting in the greenhouse Reply with quote

Nozebleed,

I noticed in one of your earlier photos that you were chitting your spuds in the greenhouse.

Have you had success with this before? I always put mine in the north window of the shed.

Will they not go green / poisonous in the greenhouse?
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what ive read..chitting potato seed in the greenhouse like im doing is fine. frost free,dry and safe from rats etc..because im planting the s
potato and not eating..i presume it will safe to plant and produce a crop which will not be poisonous. maybe im wrong. maybe others on the forum can clarify.

ive never chitted a potato before..im growing a crop outdoors in the ground for the first time this year..im have grown an early vatiety in grow bags befor enad they were notnchitted before hand. i just placed them in the bags and let nature take its course..which worked oth pretty well.
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Nozebleed! Just out of hibernation myself, must dig out photos from last year too. I havent planted anything at all yet, need to get motoring after looking at your pics!

ps. The spuds will grow pretty quickly and take over your pea plants, over shadowing them. In my experience with peas, they need plenty of air and light to produce a good crop.
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey sirpsycho. good to hear from you again. thanks for the info on the spuds..i,ll keep my eye on the pea crop this year. i might tie up the spuds foilage when it starts to appear..maybe some sort of netting to keep it in a nice neat row! unlikely to work but we,ll give it a go.

im surprised you havn,t started before now. not long now till the sowing really starts. im going to wait until april 1st before i sow anything direct to the ground.
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to go and look up oca... never heard of it before! Sounds ideally suited to our climate, where can I get some?
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garlicbreath wrote:
...where can I get some?

I bought oca from the seed savers a few years ago. I'm not sure if they have any at present.

You can get oca here: www.realseeds.co.uk/unusualtubers.html
...and information here: www.ecofarm.ie/oca/index.html
Garlicbreath

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spuds Laughing

Oca seems to be sold out everywhere but, on the up side, I did get some Egyptian Walking Onions which are currently waiting out the cold in the porch!

Last edited by Garlicbreath on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been horrid outside for ages now..but im going to bite the bullet and sow my onion sets tomorrow. im already a full month behind last year..at this stage last year i had all my carrot seed sown,all my onion,peas and shallots in the ground..and my cabbages ready to plant. its hard to believe. on the bright side however..things are still coming along under lights..my tom's are coming along nicely. a few failed to germinate so they've been re'sown. but i have 10 plants on the go..most are gardeners delight,the others are yellow toms..think i'll move the tom's to 5 inch pots at the end of the week. also have a selection of herbs in pots under lights.

IMG_4792.JPG
 Description:
Toms
 Filesize:  52.81 KB
 Viewed:  12371 Time(s)

IMG_4792.JPG

IMG_4793.JPG
 Description:
Tom;s
 Filesize:  72.41 KB
 Viewed:  12371 Time(s)

IMG_4793.JPG

Lius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozebleed,

I a little ahead and behind you at the same time. I held off on planting the spuds on Paddy's Day because they havent chitted very much and the beds would be quite cold. I have my Onions and Garlic down since October so I'm hoping for an early crop and I am trying Onions from seed this year for a later crop, they are dooing well in trays in the shed.

My Tomatoes were too big for the trays so I potted them yesterday (see pic). I'm trying three varieties this year to get a good comparison, Red Alert, Gardeners Delight & Tamina.

All I need now is to get the corrugated sheeds on to the new timber greenhouse frame and I will be in buisness. I'm going to put a few first earlies in it to see how much earlier I could get a crop indoors.

IMG_20130325_154703-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  985.14 KB
 Viewed:  12330 Time(s)

IMG_20130325_154703-2.jpg

pollen jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, im a gardener for 4 years only, so my comment is not highly rank as others, but ive learent not to mix potatoes and tomatoes because of blight, they are cousins and if you get blight , you could loose the lot, thats why 2 different glass houses are use to save this distress., also ive found out that carrots grow best outside, i grew them in a polytunnel to see if better, but just got huge foilage and little root. spring onions grow well in glass houses as does courgettes, but they can get huge , so be prepare, also strawberrys are good.jim
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys,thanks for the comments.

luis your tom,s are flying. last year i grew my tom,s early and like you they we,re huge by the end of march..it caused a bit of a headache however...i constantly worried they would become root bound before i could plant them in the greenhouse. i think i potted them up 3 times! you might have a similar issue this year! seeing as the weather is so bad it could be may by the time the sun comes out..id0 had to sow a back up batch last year just to be safe..you might think about doing that too.

i planted 350 onions today! going tomsownsome spring onion tomorrow! ground was not as wet as i thought. very cold however.
Lius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the potatoe-tomatoe blight problem Jim. I'll leave the spuds outdoors I Think.

Yes Nozebleed I had the problem with re-potting a few times. The problem I find with the Toms seems to be the air temperature rather than the sun, they do very well in the house with the limited light/sun and heating. The base of my new greenhouse is 12" raised beds so I'm planning to get the Tom's into the beds early to take advantage of more light and I will line it with bubble wrap and put an electric heater on a thermostat in case of late frost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 37 of 41

Jump to: