Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Are Osteospermum perennial?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
catman
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Are Osteospermum perennial? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if osteospermum are annual or perennial? I put 3 different types down last year, including an African daisy, into a new garden and everything else I put down are showing signs of life except these. I'm sure the clue is in the title "African" Daisy, and they would not be able for an Irish winter, but they were gorgeous last summer and I was just wondering if i need to take them up and get some more? Thanks.
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Osteospermum perennial? Reply with quote

They are half hardy perennials catman. They won't survive below 0°C. So its off to the garden centre.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is usually my first port of call when i've a question about a plant:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/index.shtml
cathd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the type. I inherited one with a white flower with a blue or pink tint and straight, slightly hairy, not serrated leaves, that seems to survive anything.
catman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, everywhere I seem to look screams "tender" so I guess as Dr. Sunny says I better bite the bullet and take them out!!! Can anyone recommend some perennials similar to the osteospemum. Perticularly ones with a daisy like flower that would be good for the front of a raised bed. I saw a lovely daisylike plant before when on holidays in Sligo that had a mass of big white daisy flowers in the height of summer and lot of green foliage underneath. It trailed over the front of the wall in th raised bed I saw it in and had spread sideways along the wall. I've no idea what the name of it is and haven't been able to find it on the internet anywhere. Can anyone shed any light on what it might be or recommend something similar????
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: another plant resource Reply with quote

I like using this site for plant info as it gives the practical experience of your average everyday gardener's view of how a plant grows, whether it's invasive, the regions or zones where it thrives, if it's delicate, fussy and what conditions it needs.http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54242/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: