Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

How to clear rhododendron?

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
moonbug33
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: How to clear rhododendron? Reply with quote

Hope I am posting this in right section.......I have a fairly long border hedge about 20 metres or so full of rhododendron that has taken over. The hedge has a few holly tress that I want to keep and develop. I have started cutting some of the plants....some are more like trees and then I will treat the stumps with "roundup."
Is this the right approach or should I be doing this another way?
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: eliminating rhododendron Reply with quote

You got a job on your hands alright. Kerry is moidered with rhodendron which although it looks wonderful for about two weeks in June is otherwise a totally useless species. I found this site for you, which I found quite fascinating ......

http://www.plural.freeuk.com/bonskeid/conserve/rhodo.html

Basically it is as you suggest, slash and burn and Roundup plus a sticky medium. Note that they cut back to short stumps but waited for a year or two for new growth to appear before applying the Roundup. This makes sense because the Roundup is best taken up by leaf growth, travels down into the root system and kills. Painting cut stumps with it won't work for you.

The root system for rhodendron is kinda like the rhisome method used by your scutch grass, which is why it is hard to eradicate.

Best of luck

moonbug33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that..............I was also reading how they use a similar approach in The Killarney National Park, thankfully I only have a long ditch type hedge to deal with. I really want to sort this out this year before it becomes a true monster.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roundup is not much use in trying to kill off rhodos. Cut the stems as low down as possible, bore a few half inch holes in them 6-8 inches deep and fill with Nitrogen fertiliser.
michael brenock horticultural advisor(retired)
moonbug33

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.....that sounds like like a good approach...... I will try that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: