Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Transplanting seedlings

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
gerard75
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Transplanting seedlings Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new here and I'm new to growing vegetables. I've had a good look around the website to get as much advise as I could regarding growing vegetables.

However I have a query about what type of soil to use when transplanting seedlings.

2 weeks ago I planted seeds indoors. These included tomato, french bean, yellow pepper, butter squashnut and aubergine seeds. I think they are ready for transplation into 6 inch pots.

What type of soil should I use when transplating the seedlings? Also how long should I keep the seedlings in the pots before I transfer them to grow bags. I'm assuming that you can grow all the above in grow bags, if not please tell me Smile

Thanks
Gerard
Redfox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

if you look for a commercial product use any of the potting mixtures available in the shops. I bought stuff from Lidl as well as from the garden centres. I didn't notice much of a difference. You can mix your own if you have good soil. I use half soil and half compost. Use a sieve it to get any rough bits out of the mix. Works fine for me.
gerard75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

I see Lidl are selling bags of multi purpose compost. Would this be suitable to use on it's own or do I have to use some soil?
cathd
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldi's organic compost, if they have any left in stock, is the best bagged compost I have ever come across. I have used it in pots with nothing else, but you will get some shrinkage if you do that, so probably best to mix it with garden soil. I can't comment on how long the nutrients last in the compost becasue I always top up with pelletted chicken manure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: