Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Eucalyptus trees?

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
crosseyedsheep
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Eucalyptus trees? Reply with quote

I'm planting mostly natives around the house but I've planted a few non natives such as red oak and a Fig tree. I want to plant some trees which grow fast on one part of the site for privacy and I want them to grow fast (as fast as possible) anyway I read that Eucalyptus are the fastest growing trees in the world over a Metre a year, I have two questions, would they grow that fast in Ireland and where would I get Eucalyptus in Ireland as I've never seen them in any garden centres?
verge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Eucalyptus trees? Reply with quote

Yes Crosseyedsheep Eucalyptus is really fast growing. There is loads of it growing wild in New Zealand and that country has similar frost zones to Ireland, see the zone maps here.... http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about132.html
We here in Ireland get a similar amount of rainfall as New Zealand, with slightly less sunshine. lol. Because of this the Eucalyptus will grow fast in Ireland, just not as fast as New Zealand where the trees can grow over a Metre a year as you say.
I have seen Eucalyptus in nearly every garden centre I have visited. If they dont have any, they can easily order it in for you. Try Eucalyptus gunni or Eucalyptus niphofhilia.
crosseyedsheep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verge,

That's great thanks, I'll be in Dublin some weekend soon so I can have a look then.

Does anyone know any good garden centres in the Clonee area?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: