Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Memorial - Landscape gardener

Most Recent Posts Is this Spiraea japonica
Last post: Greengage
Beech Head leaf browning issue
Small lawn advice please
Whats this.
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Memorial - Landscape gardener Reply with quote

Here are two photographs of my dad, Paul Harbridge, who recently died. He was a landscape gardener and keen home grown vegitable enthusiast. We celebrated his life at a funeral reception held in a nearby windmill. We had wonderfull fireworks, lots of good food and decorative spring flowers. My sister also organised a film of him in his workshop making rustic furniture etc. which he produced an amaizing amount of in later life. In the background of the second photograph you can see the jolly fine quality of bean frames he made. In the foreground you can see a small sample of the very decent potatoes that he dug up every year. In the first photograph you can see the sort of logs that he would regularly chop up for the woodstoves. He made, or restored practicaly everything in the house and garden himself, as well as doing lots and lots of creative home and garden projects for other people.

Paullogs.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.62 KB
 Viewed:  6200 Time(s)

Paullogs.jpg

25 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.03 KB
 Viewed:  6200 Time(s)

25 copy.jpg

Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sympathies for your loss dinahdabble. He looks and sounds like a real character. Cherish the memories, the rustic furniture and even the unfinished projects ! Take care.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam dilis (May his faithful soul be at God's side)

I enjoy these photographs of elder gardeners in their element, surrounded by their handiwork and nature

Grandad Jimmy Kilkelly, always in the garden.
Stayed gardening till the age of 89.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously a well loved and respected gentleman, a lover of nature and an artist by trade. These people are trained in the university of life and are an inspiration to all. it is lovely to have such memories of a loved one.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - fantastic pictures and sounds like he had a wonderful send off. My Dad is 92 and was gardener all his life (must be where I got it from). I look after him every other weekend and he loves to see up to date pictures and still loves to tell me gardening stories.

Love the pic of Grandad Jimmy Kilkelly - I can see where you got it from James.

dinahdabble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words.
It's a great thing to share knowledge, to learn what is important, to be creative, to be inspired by people and to cherish the natural world. It's wonderful to receive skills and insights from others and wonderful that passing on our own knowledge can be so enjoyable. Everybody wins when we share. It's a marvelous thing.
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sympathies as well and for making a memorial to a man who lived in his element yet was not "popular" in the sense of today's notorious celebrities. He is now though appreciated as an inspiration to this generation from your posting.

My mother, who is in a home now, at 92, was the gardener. She spent all the day bent over doing a whole 2 acres on her own and we never took any real interest in her efforts. She sold to the neighbourhood. We knew she was failing when she no longer planted anything one year. Her back became so bent, she couldn't straighten up, yet she can still converse and has all her memory.

You might want to make a website for your Grandad - I did one for my husband's mum who died 2 years back. People like to see the heritage of the past this way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: