Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Griselinia Littoralis

Most Recent Posts Can you identify this flower please?
Last post: Kim
2000 year old seeds
Last post: Margo
Can you iIdentify this small tree please?
Last post: Kim
Broad Bean Disease ?
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
gretahen
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Griselinia Littoralis Reply with quote

I have two troughs on my balcony each containing three griselinia littoralis they make a very good screen. I planted them two years ago and they are beginning to outgrow the troughs. I would like advice on how to divide them so I can replant back smaller plants and plant the extra in other pots.
Many thanks
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do not divide the Griselinia. Take cuttings and grow the cuttings in the container. Plant the older plants outside.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
gretahen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Michael. If it's not too much trouble can you explain how I take cuttings or direct me to a website that will explain how to do this
verge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softwood cuttings gretahen

Cut fresh (green not woody) stems about eight inches long and strip them of all their leaves except for the top two or three leaves. Then moisten the end of the cutting and dip it in hormone rooting powder.

Fill a pot with moist cutting compost and create a hole for the cutting by using a pencil or some similar object. This will prevent the rooting hormone rubbing from the cutting upon insertion. Place the lower 2 inches of the cutting in the compost filled pot and firm around it

Grow on in in indirect sunlight in a warm location (about 20C). Mist the cutting regularly to maintain humidity or else cover it with a clear plastic bag secured with a rubber band around the pot. If you use the bag method ensure the following, that you open the bag for a minimum of five minutes a day to allow the the cutting breathe, also ensure that the wet bag is not touching against the cutting. Use a wire hoop or two to keep the bag and the cutting separate.

Rooting can be expected to take place from ten weeks onwards.
Final tip: Take lots of cuttings at once, only one in twenty may root, so insure you have twenty taken.
Good luck .

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
gretahen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Verge, it sounds pretty daunting but I will giv it a go!
gretahen

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got around to following your instructions and I must say I am very surprised at how easy it was. Weather wise it is the best day of the year so far so hopefully the cuttings do well. I did ten cuttings but need eight plants so I guess I would be right in saying I need to do a hell of a lot more! can you tell me what time of the year is best for taking cuttings. Thanks again for all the helpful advice
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody noticed the way u get barerooted griss in some garden centres, they seem to be tied in bunches and rooted in a sandy kind of mediun, anybody know how to do this successfully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: