Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Suitable for a half acre country garden

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
the digger
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Suitable for a half acre country garden Reply with quote

Hi
Would appreciate help and advice on what trees to plant in my garden that is currently just in lawn.Want something to break up the area without taking over the garden and want to know how it will look in 5 years so i wont end up taking it out .Dont want anything with too deep roots as i have geothermal heating buried in the garden
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember in a previous garden of mine that I found it very difficult to cultivate around silver birches as their roots were close to the surface. This would suggest that maybe they are shallow rooting.....and they would certainly be very beautiful trees to grow in your lawn.
Grovey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Suitable for a half acre country garden Reply with quote

Hi
I got some good advice on suitable species & got over 200 trees planted this year from future forests in Cork. I put in Birch, Alder and Guelder Rose & also some Ash that I got free locally. You will inevitably need to do some removal in the future and the advice I got from a number of gardeners is to overplant slightly and adjust tree numbers when the shape of the planting emerges in a few years. I have about an acre and it is mostly rough ground of which I plan to cover at least 50% with trees. Check out future forests at http://www.futureforests.net/
Regards
Conor
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Suitable for a half acre country garden Reply with quote

Grovey wrote:
Hi
I got some good advice on suitable species & got over 200 trees planted this year from future forests in Cork. I put in Birch, Alder and Guelder Rose & also some Ash that I got free locally.

Were you advised that these were suitable species for geothermal heating Grovey, and by whom, if you don't mind me asking?
It's notoriously hard to get a definate list of trees and shrubs suitable for planting over geothermal.

Grovey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Tree planting / geothermal heating Reply with quote

Hi again Cooler
I don't have geothermal heating so it's not an issue for me, was just letting you know what trees I have put in. Maybe if you talk to the people at future forests they might be able to advise you on what would be most suitable. I found them very helpful on the phone.
Best of luck with it
Conor
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever species you plant, you should NEVER cultivate underneath the limit of the branches. Trees important roots are very close to the surface,
the top metre, and usually extend beyond the drip line. Trees don't like compaction either. Bear this in mind when considering what to plant.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trees are more shallow rooting than people generally think - look at the rootplate of any windblown tree.

how deep is the workings of the geothermal system?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: