Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Soil advice appreciated

Most Recent Posts Gardens worth a visit.
Last post: kindredspirit
The 10 species most endangered by climate change.
Last post: Blowin
The Grantham Oak
Last post: Blowin
Engineer needed
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
SorchaBC
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Soil advice appreciated Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Have finally setteled on a site for the new raised vegtable area. It's 9ft x 4.5ft and will be split into 3, maybe 4, different sections for different veg.

I tested my soil as advised on here and have clay soil as I suspected. It's about 95% clay! I think I need to add sand to improve drainage and some compost/leaf mould as well. Could any kind soul advise as to the amounts/type I should add?

I'll be growing a mix of everything, potatoes, root veg, brassicas, squash etc so I'm looking for a "good for all types" of mix. I know that I'd be better off having different beds and doing crop rotation but this is my first foray outside of the conservatory this year so baby steps! Smile

I'm trying to grow everything from seed, and will have to decide on a permanent spot for some things like my rhubarb next year but that's not my main concern yet.

Also, have a lot of blackcurrent cuttings that were planted out last autumn. They just have their leaf buds coming on now. I've been told I should prune them back, but I'm not sure as they're only quite little and I don't want to stunt their growth, any advice in this matter would be appreciated too Smile

Thanks,

Sórcha
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsum can also be added - in what amounts, someone more knowledgeable might know.

since we've got some cold weather left to get through, one way of breaking up soil is to lift clods of it up and leave it sitting on the surface. a sharp enough frost will freeze it, causing it to expand slightly and helping break it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: