Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Roses in Ireland

Bare root roses from Lidl

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
katana
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Bare root roses from Lidl Reply with quote

Hi,
I bought nine bare root roses in lidl as they were only 1.59 each.I haven't had much luck with roses but a tutorial by James has explained what I was doing wrong.
Getting back to the bare root ones ,
Would I be better potting them for a season or are bare rooted OK to put straight into the ground (With correct compost).They have a biodegradable cloth around them and the label recommends this should be left on.
If anyone else bought these roses I would love to hear how you got on with them .
Thanks if you can help --If not thanks for taking the time to read this Smile
I apologise if I have posted in the wrong section as I wasn't sure.
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought some last year and they are still alive,,the year before i lost 2 rose bushes from lidls but 3 survived,just think problem is with me being a novice and not putting them in the correct position.
getting better but far from good at planting,i buy on impulse and dont really have the right soil sometimes,i am trying not to do this now after going to a talk about having a place that holds all your bad plant buys,somewhere you put plants that havnt been thought about first,he called it an intensive care unit for plants and most people have one,i definately have.a whole lean-to with patients waiting for a home,some half dead now they beeb there so long
katana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks sal for the info.
The idea for somewhere to put struggling plants is an excellent one .
My site has been covered in topsoil from various locations --so I would say the soil type and the pH are all over the place.
BTW -Buying on impulse is a major problem with me as well, when I go to a garden center I cannot leave without a plant or shrub Embarassed Actually I should be banned from anywhere selling plants or shrubs Smile
sal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where would you shop?food shops,2 euro shops,etc etc,all sell plants or the tools to use in the garden,i cant leave with out buying something either!
mmmmmm we`ll have to go shopping together
i even meet up at ballyseedy garden centre every week with friends for coffee ...,deadly
spudman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plants from 2euro shops are good value if you get them when they first arrive and plant immediatly, they do have some wilted rubbish on display every year !
john1412

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spudman wrote:
plants from 2euro shops are good value if you get them when they first arrive and plant immediatly, they do have some wilted rubbish on display every year !

I'll agree with you there, Iíve noticed some shops, like Aldi, Lidl, Heatons have had barerooted roses, and fruit bushes in a while now and i couldn't imagine they would survive if they were planted out now with spending so much time inside in a warm building, also Iíve noticed that the same trees are in Aldi weeks now too, and i seen some vegetables too and strawberry plants that were all withered away, just due to not being watered, if you get them on the day they come in it's a bargain for most of them
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had any problems with stuff from Aldi. All my roses are OK. I bought a peach tree 3 years ago and planted it in a huge tub in the polytunnel. The roots have gone into the ground through the bottom. I had some blossom in Feb on it and I see today theres fruit coming. As I say I've had no problems with stuff from Aldi.
Edlyn12
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go near any plant in Lidl.My brother bought a bare root rose and a potted Japanese Maple in Lidl and they both died.I bought bare-root Raspberries and a potted Hydrangea and these both plants died.Every other plant for me stays alive other than Lidl plants.Lidl plants are rubbish.I'd go to a proper garden centre or at least go to Woodies.That is my advice to everyone.Sorry if I discouraged anybody.
Edlyn12
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strange. All my bare rooted roses and fruit trees from Aldi/Lidly have all survived.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Roses in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: