Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

No dig gardening

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MargeSimpson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: No dig gardening Reply with quote

I found a very interesting article on Wikipedia about No-dig gardening.
This is the link in case you're interested in having a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-dig_gardening
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: No dig gardening Reply with quote

Good one, Marge.
Here's an article I came across myself on the subject.

A Garden Without Digging? A Joke Right?
By Kevin Cundick

When I first heard of the "No Dig" gardening method, I must admit I was quite skeptical. I couldn't understand how you could possibly have a successful garden without tilling, digging, hoeing, then planting. All of which is quite a bit of work. I certainly don't mind hard work, because often times things feel much more rewarding if you have to work hard to accomplish your goal. Keeping this mind however, I found that my schedule, between work, coaching football, etc. with my boys that I just didn't have a lot of time to devote to a garden.

So, I thought what the heck, lets give it a shot and see how it works out. I soon learned that just because you don't have to dig, doesn't mean you don't have to work. But the time involved is considerably less. You still get your home grown vegetables easier and quicker this way.

First, locate the spot you would like to have you garden. If grass is located it where you would you like your garden to be, at the very least, mow it down before you begin. Then get a bunch of newspapers and lay them down covering the entire area you want your garden to cover. If this seems strange, I thought so at first as well. However, the newspaper does biodegrade over time providing some additional nutrients to your plants. Plus, it helps to keeps the weeds down.

Second, lay organic materials on top of the newspaper. This can be compost that you buy at the store, or homegrown compost or whatever you decide. I used grass clippings, leaves, normal dirt and some manure. I cover the newspaper to about 12 inches knowing that as the leaves and grass clippings etc. composted, the depth would decrease. I was hoping to have it be about six inches when all was said and done. I wasn't far off. You decide how much organic material would work best for you. This method did work for me.

Third, plant your vegetables. Continue regular watering maintenance and weeding (though much less than usual) and watch as your garden comes to life.

Is the "No Dig" garden the perfect garden? I would say no. But what is perfect? Everything has its pros and cons. For instance, some of the cons of the "No Dig" garden are:

- Requires more planning up front.

- The soil can be very "loose" and tall plant may fall over or require additional support to keep them from falling over.

- Predators such as mice and birds can disturb your garden and go after seeds etc.

- If planted early in the Spring, it can be more susceptible to frost.

Despite all of this however, the "No Dig" garden can be perfect for you if you are unable to dig due to time constraints or just you're just physically unable to dig a garden.

If you're unsure about the "No Dig" garden method, try planting part of your garden this way then do the rest using a different method. See how each turns out.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
crosseyedsheep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff Marge. The one thing I'm always short of is time, so this this could suite me right down to the ground, no pun intended Rolling Eyes Laughing

I've been doing some searching and this site is dedicated to this subject:

http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/index.html

anchoress
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does work. we used it in a poly tunnel on an overgrown field. We used old cardboard boxes as well as newpapers.

we were advised to use papers/cardboard, straw ( hay is full of grass seeds of course) and manure and to plant through that.

If there are nettles, the roots will come to the surface when covered up and are easy then just to pull away.

The two most difficult weeds are docks and rushes. These will come through anything. So they need to be dug up.

And manure can be full of weed seeds.

After two years the soil was starting to look good.

In this new garden we will be using similar methods, starting with black plastic mulch, which will bring weed roots to the surface, then seeing about cardboard to plant through.

Digging rough ground activates dormant weed seeds so this is a good way to start.
Organicgrowingpains
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are trying the no dig method on the last remaining piece of the allotment and planning to put potatoes in to it. Well rotted horse manure was spread on it before Christmas. Then organic compost to rot down ie; leaves ,peelings ( not potato skins) gone off veg and fruit. It was then covered with cardboard and black plastic sheeting. Hopefully by the time we are ready to set the potatoes it will be suitable!
Eureka! I have uploaded photos!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
But why are there boxes around them? Confused Confused Confused

002.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.36 KB
 Viewed:  11661 Time(s)

002.JPG

005.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.75 KB
 Viewed:  11661 Time(s)

005.JPG

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organicgrowingpains wrote:

Eureka! I have uploaded photos!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
But why are there boxes around them? Confused Confused Confused

First to use the new picture upload. Very Happy
The boxes are part of the attachment process.
A small price to pay for not having to use a third party host, and it will mean no missing images for future gardeners wishing to read the threads.
You see on occasion members move pics around in their photobucket or other photohosting account, causing the links to images being severed.
There is nothing more frustrating than reading an informative piece then you look for the illustrative pictures and they are missing due to severed links.

Enjoy your uploading. Very Happy

Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got in first for something! It is a simple system to use too, so the site should now become a riot of colour as our gardeners send in their photos. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've missed something ??? How do I find out how to upload photos please???
verge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
I think I've missed something ??? How do I find out how to upload photos please???

Its the new attachment mod. You can upload pictures straight from your pc to Irishgardeners.com. No to-ing and fro-ing between sites anymore. Smile There is a FAQ on it here Sive http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/faq.php#39 . Also GPI is putting together a mail out for all members on it.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant; could you explain it in idiot-proof language please? For those of us who aren't too technically adept?
Thanks!
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preview your post then scroll down to the end , you will see a button marked 'browse' just click and it will open up your own computer files, pick the photo you want and click, thats it! If I could do it anyone can do it. I am looking forward to seeing everyones gardens at last! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Organicgrowingpains on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
Brilliant; could you explain it in idiot-proof language please? For those of us who aren't too technically adept?
Thanks!

Updated explanation How do I post pictures?
A step by step guide with illustrations.
Let me know if I need to anything to it folks.
Smile

Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic....couldn't be clearer, thank you so much. I am looking forward to using it and also seeing other people's photos......it will be very inspiring!
Yorky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this - I usually host the pictures and then provide links but this attachment method would be quicker and easier. The only problem is it does not seem to be possible to attach more than one picture. Is there a way of attaching more than one?
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: how's that? Reply with quote

hi.

How's that for more than one...

Just press the 'Add Attatchment 'button when you have chosen the image you want in the 'Filename browse area'

Then browse to choose another image and press Add attatchment again.....Maybe ones with a bit more relevence than mine, but you get the idea

Cheers

Ian

dog on loo.jpg
 Description:
Dog on the loo
 Filesize:  47.34 KB
 Viewed:  11435 Time(s)

dog on loo.jpg

eamon Harking with Peal and folw with Sleive Snacht.jpg
 Description:
Pearl the horse with Eamon
 Filesize:  55.75 KB
 Viewed:  11435 Time(s)

eamon Harking with Peal and folw with Sleive Snacht.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: