Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Ivy just not growing after a year

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sunflower
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Ivy just not growing after a year Reply with quote

Hello all,
When will this winter ever end - it's just not funny anymore! But as we (hopefully) head to nicer weather i've been out and about taking stock.

I've 2 ivy plants- Hedera Sulphar Heart - that are just not taking to their spot at all and I'm wondering should i replant new ones now before it warms up in the hope they'll take off better. They're raggy looking really.
I planted them last May and I don't think the fact I planted them in full sun during the hottest spell last year helped them get off to a good start. The ugly wall I want them to cover is 12ft high. I appreciate they need time but they've hardly grown an inch, have sparse twigs as opposed to leafy vines and they're not clinging to any part to the wall, even though we attached some of the branches when planting with ties. Plus it's not as if it's just one, it's both of them.

Whats the verdict - try new plants or give them some more time? I know ivy is supposed to take over and thats what I'd like them to do here, but right now thats not happening.

Any ideas welcome,
Sunflower
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What direction is the wall facing towards?

I think ivies prefer shade and coolness.
Sive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew that ivy once and it seemed to be slow in establishing, so maybe it is not a vigorous variety ? I also discovered it would not attach its suckers to the plastered/painted part of the wall, only the brick capping....the reason quite simply is that many outdoor wall paints have a fungicide in them and the ivy never attached itself to the painted surface.
And as a matter of interest, the wall I describe only got some morning sun, otherwise was in shade.
michael brenock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a wire brush on the wall to clear off any toxic remains of paint or plaster and also to roughen the surface. however if new shoots are not being produced or very short ones then the problem is in the root area. Check for drainage and plant food. Ensure the plant roots are secure and not being blown around and that there is sufficient soil for the roots to grow.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Pics Reply with quote

Hi Sunflower

Any photo's to look at?

It could be that they are slow to establish, ivies usually take off after the second year. Other stuff;
too dry
roots too close to the wall
poor soil
too sunny
cold spot
variegated are slower to grow

We'll know better if we see a pic....
Ian

Sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the quick replies,

It's too dark when i get back from work to take pics but will take one asap. it's a south facing wall so it's in full sun for most of the day. There is a lovely stone wall near it with loads of long established ivy but this wall is ugly brick which i'd love to cover. But reading the replies, I think the roots could be it - i've planted them quite close to the wall?
I'll get a picture up soon to give you more of an idea.

Thanks again for the help,
Sunflower
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly no expert but I think planting them close to a wall makes absolutely no difference.

I threw down ivies at the base of a shady wall in July in virtually no soil at all and they immediately became rampant. The frost has blackened a lot of the leaves at the moment but I'd say they're still alive.

I think they need coolness (e.g shade or planted under stones) and they don't like too much wetness. Ivies, if they are dried out, can soak up water quicker than cacti. True! I've seen them do it in pots that were completely bone dry: give them a bit of water and zoom! they've sucked up all the water in seconds!

Maybe you've given them too much kindness? (With all due respect.)

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm having trouble posting these pictures so I hope they come through ok!!
Two are of the ivies themselves. They are planted a couple of inches away from a south facing, block wall in a bed that I intend to plant this spring, with nothing to shade the roots - a mistake perhaps?? The white clips are the only thing holding them up - neither are clinging to the wall at all. I'm really tempted to replace them with a stronger ivy, shading the roots with some other plants but maybe there is hope for them?
The other picture is of the length of the right side of the front garden. To the right you can see the bottom of an old stone wall with long established ivy and the frame of what remains of a massive, overgrown 15ft overgrown fuschia that we hard pruned today. The ivy which looks really twiggy was also cut back hard today. I'm hoping I'll be glad I did such brutal pruning in a couple of months - will I?? Very Happy
This is one side of our front garden and I'm hoping it'll look a lot better by summer.

Thanks again folks, the replies were great to get!
Sunflower

Ivy 11.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.44 KB
 Viewed:  7325 Time(s)

Ivy 11.JPG

Ivy 22.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.18 KB

Ivy 22.JPG

Length of Garden11.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.23 KB

Length of Garden11.JPG

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're certainly not happy ivies.

Maybe the soil is too rich or too wet & heavy?. I'm no expert so hopefully someone more knowledgable will be able to throw light on the problem.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.

Last edited by kindredspirit on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kindred Spirit,
No they're definitely not, they are seriously unhappy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: