Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

cheap, easy and good to eat

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: cheap, easy and good to eat Reply with quote

At this time of the year my seedlings are wilting when they see me coming to glower at them. They are tired of my impatience with their progress so I have to find new horizons.

Ginger is a root herb or garden plant which may become invasive if put into the wrong location. Yet it is cheap and readily available from the supermarket, just like garlic and onions and will pay off big time if planted into the ground in a pot. It's already started as a rhizome so you can't really kill it too easily - here's a great website for all the varieties and how they flower. http://www.gingersrus.com/images/thumbnail.php?columns=4&Folder=Zingiber%20-%20all%20species

It's good as a tea with honey and an added spice for Thai dishes. Also healthy too.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does ginger not need very hot conditions? 30+ degrees?
ormondsview

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: thread elsewhere in this forum on ginger Reply with quote

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about3036.html

Yes, ginger is tropical but there are benefits to growing your own if only to have a fresher better tasting piece than the dried up one you started with. Some things to make - ginger snaps, gingerbread, hot toddy - I think it's called a ginger mac - very sweet with plenty of strong ginger and stronger stuff of your liking.

Ginger doesn't like boggy and will rot. It will flower if its crowded.

I think people will be watching what they put in given the losses of this past winter. And this is a cheap alternative to paying good money for a tropical which you have to worry over.
Sunny
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds grate, will have to try that out. I love ginger. Do you need to buy from nursery or is it a matter of buying a root from the supermarket and sticking it in a pot. I assume these need to be grown in a greenhouse or polytunnel.
ormondsview

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: ginger from a supervalu Reply with quote

You can use the same kind as is sold in supervalu or oriental markets. It needs indoors, but put out in a sunny spot when it's warm enough and it will do fine in a pot or hot spot in your garden.
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to try this,we use ginger alot,in cake and curry,when do you know when to dig it out ?
ormondsview

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tuber so easy to break off a piece and it still keeps growing. In the fall like potatoes, you should get a good enough growth on it by then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: