Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

fruit trees in aldi tomorrow!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Sea-buckthorn Hippophae rhamnoides
Last post: spiracles
stone work in gardens
Last post: ponddigger
Ponddigger breaks the rules and LIES
Last post: ponddigger
Introduction
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: aldi veg sales Reply with quote

I visited aldi today on foot of this article and found they are selling asparagus crowns 4 for three euro. Which is incredible value, and they are large to very large in size. I bought 16 crowns and have them soaking tonight for planting tomorrow, Laast year i paid 2 euro for a single crown in Lidl, and got a strike rate of 50%, which I am happy with as the 5 which did survive are flourishing, hoping to get them same or better rate with these new ones as they look in much better shape than last year's purchase. Lidl ones are Guelph, Aldi does'nt say which varieties.
Jimbo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 2 x Braeburn Apple. 2 x pears, a plum and cherry.....very good value. Going to make an attempt at fans/cordons and espaliers for interest.

How should I store the trees til planting, as its freezing at night here in ennis. We even had snow yesterday!

tks
Sarah Evans
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand why people choose to purchase items from the likes of Aldi and Lidl and I have watched this subject as it was also raised last year. Sad

Their prices are very low and often cheaper than can be bought at trade prices.However one has to take into account the issues of quality,customer service, free information and advice and other perks (loyalty cards free talks) that your garden centre provides

It is positive to hear the likes of Sive and AJ who are aware of the impact of supermarkets on small independent traders. We are all living in tough times and when garden centres go out of business it will be the Irish nurseries that are also affected. The likes of Lidl & Aldi will continue to offer great value with little support to Irish suppliers.

My little rant is over and I shall now go and sniff some Lavender Smile

029 60084
www.thesecretgardener.com
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can under stand the local nurseries point and i have to say i have not had as good results from the cheap stores as i get fron the local garden centre,but,i still buy from lidl and aldi occasionally,this weekend i bought an apple tree,the apple tree`s seem to fare better than the 3 cherry which all died on me previously,i think that they sell they same in all their shops regardless of what suits the area or even the country,thats the difference as far as i`m concerned,you have to know what suits your area or even your country! i was stood in the queue at lidls and a couple behind me were discussing the pear tree`s on sale,they were saying that pears just dont grow in this area,and they and their neighbours have tried and never suceeded where they live,thinking about that i saw up in Carlow(where i visit my son) the same fruit tree`s that they had here but our climate seems different,when i go to Carlow it never is as wet,and i`m sure we are warmer here in Kerry,and the soil is different too,so also note what tree`s or plants get let unsold for ages thats a good pointer too. Wink
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sal wrote:
this weekend i bought an apple tree,the apple tree`s seem to fare better than the 3 cherry which all died on me previously

i'm surprised you still shop there!
Sive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all underestimate the power we have in our wallets. If we think carefully about where and how we spend our money, we can make quite a difference to the survival of Irish companies and traders.
No use moaning in a couple of years' time that there are no jobs for our children and grandchildren any more.
sal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah but the tree`s were healthy,it just happens that cherry tree`s obviously dont grow well here,and come to think of it i have yet to see a cherry tree here,and paying 4.99 instead of 15 euro,1 in three chance gives me the same result,
seriously though money counts and a chance 5 euro is worth the risk,
sal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be a liar if i didnt admit that all the tree`s i got from my garden centre has survived ,but not so the lidl`s ones,but as i said before i dont always have the money to spend on plants etc so i take the occasional chance,cant knock the lidls seeds though ,they always grow,
Macy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
I think we all underestimate the power we have in our wallets. If we think carefully about where and how we spend our money, we can make quite a difference to the survival of Irish companies and traders.
No use moaning in a couple of years' time that there are no jobs for our children and grandchildren any more.

I think some people overestimate the amount of power people have in their wallets. If it's a choice between buying what you can afford in Lidl/ Aldi, or not buying at all then I know what I'd go for.

I'm resisting the temptation of the Aldi fruit trees, I'm not sure I'll be able to resist the Lidl ones coming down the line, and it is purely a financial consideration. In an ideal world I'd be buying off furture forests or irish seed savers, but at the moment I'm finding it hard to justify the price differential tbh (the reality of the Governments wage cutting agenda on the wider economy, unfortunately, as pre budget I had the tress I wanted picked out).
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sal wrote:
it just happens that cherry tree`s obviously dont grow well here,and come to think of it i have yet to see a cherry tree here

where is here?
the (garden centre) stella cherry we planted a few years ago is over fifteen foot tall now, and produces a good crop of cherries. which the birds get the lion's share of.

i'm well enough off that i can afford to shop in a garden centre, and my reasoning is that if you're buying a plant you hope will last for decades, an extra tenner at the start will stand you in very good stead.

i would be terrified to think of a future where lidl and aldi put professionally run garden centres out of business.
sal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must admit i think twice before buying plants ,etc now,where before i spent at least two thirds in the garden centres and just got the bargains in lidls and aldi,with my husband unemployed i just buy small items,although i still go to Ballyseedy garden centre every thursday,have a coffee,browse the plants etc,i now check weather i can really afford it, even though a lot of my plants are dead from the weather,replacing them is to be thought about money wise,i even browse lidls and aldi online so i`m not tempted or buy on impulse,easy when their so cheap.
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All well and good the garden centres telling us to buy Irish and forget the German discount stores. The garden centres conveniently forget the thousands upon thousands of euro of Italian mature plants they buy in every year. Which I may remind them sold like hot cakes during the boom.
Macy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidl have fruit tree's next Thursday...

Quote:
Bare Root Fruit Trees

Height ca. min 1.2m
Varieties include: Cox Apple, Jonagold Apple, Elstar Apple, Opal Plum Victoria Plum, Doyene Du Comice Pear, Conference Pear Stella Cherry, Morel Cherry
Thick stems, strong branches
Price per item
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: