Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Kill tree stumps

Most Recent Posts Cleaaning polytunels/greenhouses.
Last post: tagwex
I'm new here
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Kill tree stumps Reply with quote

Hi

Does anyone know of a natural way to kill off a tree stump to stop unwanted growth returning?

There are some expensive chemicals on the market, but is there something we can do ourselves?

Cheers

Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drill holes in it and pour in roundup, drive some copper nails into it, burn it, block out the light from it completely. Or alternatively hollow it out with a chainsaw, fill with compost and plant something nice in it Very Happy
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: like Reply with quote

Thanks for those suggestions. I like the copper nail idea.

I think the tree in question is a sycamore, which have a tendency to have lots of offshoots so maybe the hollowing out idea might not work..I've seen that done to great effect with a fuchsia though.

Cheers

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do kill it you can turn it into a stump bin, like the one I saw in Rome....

To begin the kill you must drill 3 to 4 slightly slanting holes approx 2.5cm (1 inch) diameter as deep as is possible into the top of the stump, also make downward axe slashes into the bark on the sides of the stump approx 2.5cm (1 inch) deep.

"SBK Brushwood Killer" or "Round-up" are in liquid form and must be painted onto open tree wounds.
Next pour the stump killers crystals into the slanting holes.
Finally cover the stump with a clear plastic cover to prevent dilution of the chemicals with rainwater, leave this in place for 1 month.
The Ideal time for application is during May-June and directly after the felling of the tree, but I have had good results at other times of the year.

A stump killing product will take approx 7 weeks to totally kill the tree, but for the stump to decompose completely can take between 3 and 7 years although it may be possible to dig the stump out after a year.

Looking for Stump killer in Ireland, then you should be able to source some here...... Stump killer

Looking for Stump killer in the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, or Australia, then you should be able to source some here......

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Sunny
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Stump Grinder? Reply with quote

That stump bin is awesome, what a great use of a stump.
In regards to getting rid of the stump, have you considered getting in a stump grinder. They can grind up the entire stump into mulch, leaving a hole that can be replanted. You can rent one of these beasts, but I would recommend getting someone in to do it for you, if you are not comfortable with heavy machinery.

stump%20grinder%202.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.48 KB
 Viewed:  12366 Time(s)

stump%20grinder%202.jpg

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the only organic way to kill a stump is with copper nails?
i have some shrubs i've cut down to a stump and want rid of without disturbing the soil too much.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, copper mining is not exactly environmentally friendly either. If you can sever the roots to a spade's depth 2 feet from the trunk, then constantly remove any growth, it will die, I promise. If you just remove all growth, it will also die, but take longer. Excluding light will also quicken the process, but look ugly. You could also dig it out, if you want to get really fit, or get somebody in with a stump grinder (they are pretty dangerous, so should not be used by the untrained), but that uses petrol and would certainly wreck the position for several years with a mass of shredded wood chips mixed with soil, if you wanted to put something else there. The hollowing out idea is great, but remember that all growth will come from the outside (cambium) layer of the tree, or from the roots. The inner wood is dead.

Personally, I'd try to destroy as much root as possible, even if it took all day with a pair of loppers, a pruning saw and a sharp hatchet. I'd ring bark it at ground level. Then I'd conduct a war of attrition on any new growth, leave the remnant as a feature, as others have suggested, or perhaps just leave it as a dead wood habitat for wildlife. If I really wanted it gone, I'd leave about a 3 foot stump (for a lever), and physically dig/knock the whole thing out after a couple of years.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately one of the reasons i want rid of it is that it's planted far too close to some other plants, so severing the roots would invariably damage other trees. so it's a case of trimming off regrowth as it appears.
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:
so the only organic way to kill a stump is with copper nails?

Dunno if it is "organic" or otherwise. Digging the stump out would be organic.

Way to resurrect an old post, btw. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: