Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Potatoes under cover?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Digger Dan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Potatoes under cover? Reply with quote

I read somewhere that one way to plant potatoes is to cover the ground with weed barrier, make slits and plant seed potatoes directly into hole. No earthing up needed!

Has anyone tried this and what type of yield do you get?

Regards,
Digger Dan.
nemo
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say it being done
but he firstly cut the grass as tight as he could then he applied a good layer of well rotted manure and seaweed then he covered this with plastic this was hemmed in on both sides with a spade to prevent it from being blown away then he used a bulb planter to make a hole in the plastic and to remove a plug of soil .a seed potato was dropped into the hole and some soil covered it. it worked good no earthing up but slug damage can be a problem i was told
Digger Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end I decided to stick with the traditional method and plant in open soil but I did try a couple couple of potato bags to compare yields.

I used strong recycling bags as they were bigger (60litres+) and cheaper than the purpose sold 'Potato Grow Bags', e.g. http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/potato-patio-planter---pack-of-3-/haxnicks_potatoplanterpd.aspx

I bought the Recycling Bags in Woodies for €3.99 each and just put a few holes in the bottom for drainage.

I planted them out at the end of March and harvested them in early July, 15 weeks. The variety is 'Red Duke of York'.

The yield was low enough as I only had 2.5Kg from 3 tubers planted but the flavour was excellent!

I am curious what results other gardeners have with growing potatoes in bags or barrels? All the advertisements for potato grow bags show bags virtually exploding with potatoes. I would be interested to know if anyone has achieved such bumper crops (without having to intensively feed all along).

As a comparison I can across a report by the RHS on yields they had from a range of early potatoes http://www.rhs.org.uk/RHSWebsite/files/0d/0d52c1ec-6bf7-41fe-91ec-7fecd2fbae74.pdf. It does show that a more modest yield of 1.0-1.5Kg/plant is the norm for early/salad crops?

Digger Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: