Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Common Laurel from your local woods

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
katana
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Common Laurel from your local woods Reply with quote

Hi,
About two years ago I was out in a woods about 3 miles away (My son and I often go there walking the dogs).
The Forster's were doing a major clear up (Thinning) and I asked about taking some small common laurel .
I was told to take as much as I wanted when I wanted but not all from same place .
He had no problem as long as I didn't take any felled timber.
Since this I have about 40 thriving laurels on my boundary.Some are now over 6 foot tall and are easy to keep with a bit of pruning.
90% of the laurels survived very well as most only had a small root as they were attached like underground branches.
I am posting this topic because if you have a large garden and want a bit of all year round green it is a cheap option and the kids love coming out helping (this needs both cars).
Be sure to get permission as laurels may not be as plentiful in your local woods and the forester might have a different view on it.
Hope this helps someone Smile
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi katana,

Interesting name, reminds of guy I once knew, a fella called Joey O'Driscoll.

Anyway, I have a big area to plant and must have a look around the woods here. Any chance of a pic of your hedge , just to be sure I'm lookin for the right thing Laughing

katana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure I post a pic tomorrow if its dry Very Happy
katana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Picture as requested Reply with quote

I took this pic' this morning.The middle plant is in about 2 years and is about 6 foot.The ones on either side are in since about October.I chose this as you can see how rich they become.I would advise at this time of year if you are getting taller ones to put a cane to support them.
I have no pics of ones out of the ground but I will be going to the woods at the mid term with the kids .I will pick one up and show what kind of root they have.
These I found to be a very strong plant and with a little compost added when planting you should have no problem.
The one thing I stress is that make sure you have permission.
I do not use these for a blanket hedge .I put them between oaks and such to keep a bit of green during the winter months.That said I have seen beautiful Laurel hedges.I nearly forgot to mention that I found the smaller ones usually give better width and may be more suited for a hedge.
Hope this helps and good luck with the planting.

common Laurel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.15 KB
 Viewed:  7514 Time(s)

common Laurel.JPG

corco2000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, they look great.I see these everywhere around me more in a decidous than a coniferous forest though?, I geuss they love shade.Did you just pull them up or use a fork?
jashar99

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pic
you probaby could cut them back hard to promote bushiness, and then they also should not require a cane either
katana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jashar99 wrote:
nice pic
you probaby could cut them back hard to promote bushiness, and then they also should not require a cane either

I was thinking of cutting them back but I wasn't sure when to do this especially with the very cold (and now very dry ) weather.
They need to be cut as some haven't grown much since planting.
Thanks for info, any help is appreciated Smile
Lady Power

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: laurel, fastgrowing Reply with quote

As someone who has spent literally years trying to remove laurel from woodland, I always urge anyone I see buying it in garden centres to think again. If you are in an urban or suburban environment it can be very useful, but if you expect laurel to block some road bordering your property in a distant meadow, remember it can spread!!! With me it can grow almost 4 feet a year and needs pruning at least twice a year. Great for hiding things, the old 'laurel lawn' was, it is said, planted under bedroom windows so when the whisky bottles were flung out, they would never be seen...One more thing about laurel: its flowers can cause allergic symptoms in many people. Still, it has its uses!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: