Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

rainwater harvesting

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: rainwater harvesting Reply with quote

h,i after the cold spell with water so scarce what do members think of rainwater harvesting . yours ponddigger
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should be using far more stored rainwater...especially for flushing toilets with. It is absolutely mad that we use treated water for such a purpose. And the same goes for gardening.
But then we will always take water for granted if we don't pay for it........
ponddigger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: underground system Reply with quote

you are right sive,that why i am installing a 1000 gallon underground rain water system at my house in co tipp ,which includes a pondless waterfall to keep the water circulated.i will post photos of the project next week yours ponddigger
Sarah Evans
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a good project and the environmental benefit makes it even more worthwhile. Look forward to your updates. We use rain butts but even at the rate we go through them they fill and spill. So a rain water system may be a future investment
029 60084
www.thesecretgardener.com
sandra12
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Keep our roof clean here and collect all our drinking water off it. Run it through a basic Brita filter then mostly boil it for tea. We are not dead yet. Very Happy
No chlorine make the tea taste so much better too.
ponddigger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: rainwater harvesting Reply with quote

hi can any body tell me why this post was moved from water features in ireland including all aspects of water gardening .yours ponddigger
verge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pondigger, it was decided to move it to Sustainable Gardening practices as rainwater harvesting is the gathering, or accumulating and storing, of rainwater.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
ponddigger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: pondless water plus rainwater harvesting Reply with quote

thank you ,but the system i use includes a pondless waterfall
brennan.jm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandra12 wrote:
We Keep our roof clean here and collect all our drinking water off it. Run it through a basic Brita filter then mostly boil it for tea. We are not dead yet. Very Happy
No chlorine make the tea taste so much better too.

Hi Sandar12 can you give us some info on your system regarding how its set up and how much water you manage to harvest

ponddigger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: rain watering harvesting system Reply with quote

hi just to let know my rainwaterharvesting system worked for me over the cold spell.the tank is buired under the ground,the water did not freeze.i used a pump to pump water in to the tank in the attic

018.JPG
 Description:
my diy under ground tank
 Filesize:  181.37 KB
 Viewed:  17431 Time(s)

018.JPG

ponddigger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: rain waterharvesting diy system Reply with quote

hi some photos of my rainwaterharvesting diy system

017.JPG
 Description:
my tank 3 feet high for gravity flow
 Filesize:  129.21 KB
 Viewed:  17347 Time(s)

017.JPG

016.JPG
 Description:
pipe from garage gutter not connected
 Filesize:  124.65 KB
 Viewed:  17347 Time(s)

016.JPG

ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: freezing water pipes and water shortage Reply with quote

In Kerry, we had frozen water pipes problems and had to drain all the water out and close the heating during the cold spell to avoid bursting the pipes. What plans to people have in the future for these flash freezes as it is now the second year and last year was not just a blip? In Canada, we are insulated by having a six foot frost line for pipes going into the house. Our holiday home, though, may not be built to that code. Has the council suggested ways in which the water shortage could be avoided due to people running taps to stop the pipes freezing and to stop depleting the reservoirs in winter. Albeit, the cold snap is never more that 2 weeks, but may still happen again this winter without warning.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: freezing water pipes and water shortage Reply with quote

my boss is german, and was telling me that in germany, your incoming water is metered, but you also pay another charge for your outgoing water - to the point that the surface area of your roof is supplied to the authorities so they can calculate how much run off there is from the roof going down the drain...
ormondsview

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: divert the water Reply with quote

That's why I have 6 water barrels (though they are not taxing us for rainwater into the drains yet) and it is worth every bit of effort to keep them emptied. As for them overfilling, just run a weeper hose off them.
In Toronto they are disconnecting the drains to the mains as our sewer system is as old as the first development (100 years) and when it gets full, the whole mess runs into the lake. We've had rains we've not seen before. In one hour, traffic can be stopped dead on the gardener express.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the reasons the tolka is not a healthy river is that lots of developments in castleknock have the runoff from the sinks, etc., going into the storm drain run off rather than the waste system, and the storm drain run off runs to the tolka - so lots of phosphates and detergents being dumped in untreated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: