Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

rainwater harvesting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Most Recent Posts Gravel Drive towed rake??
Last post: tagwex
the first of 2020
Last post: ponddigger
If I knew what this is, I could google how to look after it!
Last post: Greengage
Whitewash for the fruit trees, any chance to get it in IRL?
Last post: kindredspirit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Welcome Letterkenny gardener Reply with quote

If you are in the enviable position of being able to plan a rainwater recycling solution into a new build, consider storing the water under the house floor. This prevents any problems of freezing etc. If you intend to use the water to supplement the house supply (for washing and maybe flushing) you have very short pipe runs to roof cisterns. If you want to add a heat exchanger you get more for your money. One thing to watch even (especially?) using liners and storing outside is possible pollution of the stored water by fungal and bacterial causes. Allow for this in your planning. My system collects the water from the chutes into a single butt and pumps it directly to the roof. But I live in an exceptionally area which just gets the odd deluge about once a month.
Letterkenny Gardener
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Thanks for that Reply with quote

Thanks for that walltoall, your on the right path I want to use the water for washing and flushing. I hear a good bit about the fungus etc etc/ Is there any way to avoid them as I planned to build the storage below ground level close to the house. I take your point on putting the storage under the house nut I'm not keen on that in case of future problems.

Thanks.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only hands on experience of underground tankage is a house built in 1949 which had a concrete tank buried underground holding a potential 30.000 gallons. It was not chemically treated or pumped out ever as far as I know, but the secret may have been that it was totally dark. I sailed on ships which had 500 gal tanks holding drinking water sometimes for months. Tiny pills or tablets were added occasionally containing a silver compound. Can't remember what they were but I'm sure a ships' chandler would help you here, But if you only want the water for washing flushing and maybe lawns it should not worry you.

Back along this thread, Kindred Spirit referred to a chemical for keeping the water clear of algae and things. Pond digger suggests that aeration of the water may be a way to keep it fresh but has noit come back to me yet. Check the whole thread.

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
Back along this thread, Kindred Spirit referred to a chemical for keeping the water clear of algae and things. Pond digger suggests that aeration of the water may be a way to keep it fresh but has noit come back to me yet. Check the whole thread.

Chlorosan. Just needs a MINUTE quantity. (It's what goes into public drinking water supplies.) You can buy it in a chemist or a Dairy Co-Op.

Incidentally, whilst on holiday in the remote uplands of AndalucĂ­a a few years ago, I looked at how the Moors stored their water in enormous pits at the bottom of the towers in their castles. No daylight came into the pit and the water was fresh and not a bit stagnant. I know because I climbed down the side of the wall, at the invitation of a local, and tasted it. He thought I wouldn't be able to climb down but I showed him! Very Happy On hindsight it was a bit stupid as I could have easily slipped in and I've no idea how I could have got up out of the water. It was cold too. So perhaps the secret to eliminating Shaun's squigglies is lack of daylight. I presume that's why well water is fresh too.

Aeration removes toxins too e.g. mountain stream, but that involves electricity and so has a financial cost.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Letterkenny Gardener

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that guys, I have a better idea of what I need to do. I'd saya I'll go for a closed in underground tank. Just the matter of checking around and see what suits size and price wise.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: