Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

New Vegetable Patch, where to buy mattocks?

Most Recent Posts Is this Spiraea japonica
Last post: Greengage
Beech Head leaf browning issue
Small lawn advice please
Whats this.
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mayo girl 64
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: New Vegetable Patch, where to buy mattocks? Reply with quote

I want to open up a new vegetable growing area as i have to alter my garden and my hubby says that the ground has never been dug before where this new growing area will be so he needs a mattocks. Can anybody tell us where we buy such tools?

Quote:
Idea Help us help you! Your post has been edited by moderator to add a descriptive title.
Original title too generic....... (New Vegetable Patch)
Members should try to use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic.
This helps others find your post, allowing you to receive replies, plus it leaves a searchable store of information for gardeners coming after you........ see rule 11 http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about27.html
Grovey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re : Mattock Reply with quote

I have one that I got from a guy called who is based in Westport. Check out his website at www.chillingtonhoes.com. They really are brilliant tools and you will never go back to Standard spades and shovels after trying them out.
All the best with your new veg patch, Conor.
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grovey ,

I've seen them in the local co-op and I know they're also available on Amazon but I'm not sure what the shipping cost would be. I'm predicting the appearance of an advertisement on this thread shortly though !! Keep an eye out Wink Laughing Laughing
Macy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try the local co-op first, as by the time you add in postage, even if they were nominally more expensive it may work out cheaper.

Is the ground stoney? I've got one of the chillington hoes (the heavy one) mentioned (from the OOOBY Store in Glenealy, also available from the Organic Centre I think) and on the stoney patches I'm finding double digging easier with a fork. It's great on the previously cultivated stuff, but on the stoney stuff that's being cultivated for the first time it's a pain to keep sharp, and if it's not sharp it loses the effectiveness. I think there is a pointed version as well that I'm thinking about getting as an addition, as it is a lot easier on the back than "standard" digging.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattocks have the advantage of being heavier, and so cope better with heavier ground conditions where a spade or shovel might bend or flex.
Lighter tree roots can even be cleaved away with your mattock.
I suppose the one area where a shovel is better is where the dug material has to be loaded ie. from ground to trailer.

As promised by Foxylock, Wink here is where you will find mattocks online mayo girl 64................... Mattock, grub hoe or grub axe on gardenseller.com
Please note that anything bought through the linked site goes towards the running costs of the Irish gardeners forum.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
mayo girl 64

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thank you all spoilt for choice i am.

I contacted the Chillington hoe site because it is local and we will be able to see them but everything looks ok. I went to my local farmers Co-op and they referred me to same people as they only do spades and forks.

Thank you again
mayo girl 64

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we picked our tools up today and himself is well chuffed with them, says they will last for years.

You get the hang of them after a few minutes and yes Conor i think you are right the chillington hoes are a lot easier to use than spades, but i must tell you of a brilliant tool they have. It is the canterbury fork hoe which is amazing for raised beds as i used to have and soon will again i hope.

This tool (i bought one) is like a garden fork turned side ways on a long handle and for breaking up the soil in a raised bed you use it just like a rake but it goes much deeper so no digging at all and you can reach all of the raised beds without stretching or climbing on to them.
Foxylock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mayo Girl anything that makes life easier will be a welcome addition to the tool shed. Now James where's that advert ? Laughing Laughing
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh its there alright in my earlier post Foxylock Wink

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Vegetable Patch, where to buy mattocks? Reply with quote

mayo girl 64 wrote:
I want to open up a new vegetable growing area as i have to alter my garden and my hubby says that the ground has never been dug before where this new growing area will be so he needs a mattocks. Can anybody tell us where we buy such tools?

Quote:
Idea Help us help you! Your post has been edited by moderator to add a descriptive title.
Original title too generic....... (New Vegetable Patch)
Members should try to use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic.
This helps others find your post, allowing you to receive replies, plus it leaves a searchable store of information for gardeners coming after you........ see rule 11 http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about27.html

I bought mine in B&Q two years ago for about €30.
I'd highly recommend it, especially for fresh ground. It penetrates hard ground with the same ease as a pickaxe, but it also breaks up the earth as you extract it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: