Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Greenhouse Schedule

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Greenhouse Schedule Reply with quote

Hi,,I'm looking for some advice..I recently bought a greenhouse and i hope to grow Carrots,Potato,Peppers,Radish,Lettuce and Strawberries for my first attempt. Today i bought 5 large grow bags (i'm going to try the bags rather than grow in the ground)..
the thing is i've no experience whatsoever..i really don't have a clue.

When should i start to plant the seeds (listed above) in the greenhouse?
can i plant them indoors now and transplant to the greenhouse at a later date?

thanks
Andrew
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to add mini-cucumber!
MacFistycuffs
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nozebleed

First of all carrots, potatoes and strawberries are not really suitable for growing in growbags. A growbag would not have the depth required to grow a typical carrot (If you are really set on growing carrots in a grow bag then you could try a variety called Paris Market, this is a globe shaped carrot which should grow fine in a grow bag). You could grow potatoes in a large container which you would fill with compost, special potato growing containers should be available at most garden centres. Strawberries are perennials, which means the same plant comes back year after year (usually having a lifespan of 3 years). Again could could grow strawberries in a decent sized container.

Peppers and cucumbers are perfect for growing in growbags and seeds could be started now. Lettuce and radishes could also be grown in growbags although it would be more economical to try a small patch outside for these (where you could also try some normal shaped carrots). Two other crops that do well in growbags would be tomatoes an aubergines.

Just get down to your local garden centre and pick up some seeds, there will be instructions on the back and are pretty easy to follow. If it doesn't work out sowing your own seeds you could always try buying some peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes or aubergines which have already been grown to a stage where they are suitable for planting in a growbag.

My number one piece of advice is do not be afraid to make mistakes, it can be a bit daunting at first but it is all valuable experience.

Nozebleed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply....im a little surprised!! do you think grow bags are unsuitable for potatoes?...they were sold as potato grow bags(patio grow bags)..sure i'll give them a go and see what happens..i think it said 3 potato seeds per bag...and the growing guide say's you plant up to 25 carrot seeds in each! the large bags are about 35L. i really dont know what im doing so i didn't want to dig up the whole greenhouse first time round. I'll try post some pics in the coming days when i have the layout in order..

thanks again for the advice...very helpful.
barremic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nozebleed

I like you have bought my first green house this year ( we have yet to put it up too).
But i have grown most of the veg you are hoping to grow.

The potatoes dont need to be in a green house ( as far as i know) it would probably not be too good for them, as the damp air after watering wouldnt be good for them. I have grown spuds in old compost bags, large pots, and finally the ground when i got my own garden. The green house would be good for them if you were planning to try grow some for christmas dinner, to keep them out of the frost, but only at the end of the year.

Most carrots will grow happily in our climate, can be handy to start them off early in the G.H. but you cant really "prick them out". they need to be planted in what they are staying in, and be thinned out in situ.

i hope to do early strawberries my self in a hanging basket when the green house goes up (hopefully in the next month or so.

Radishes again are easliy grown out doors.

if its any help i dont really want to dig inside my one either this year so i am hoping to put some metal shelves along oneside, with gravel underneath, for peppers in pots and other plants and seedlings that love the heat. and then on the other side use grow bags for tomatoes.

sorry for the long post, hope this helps
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have got some very good advice there and i will add more.Yes you can grow potatoes in grow bags and strawberries. carrots are not suitable for grow bags. the compost in the bags can be incorporated into the soil already in glasshouse and you can grow most vegetables. ideally the strawberries should have been planted in Sept/October and the advantage of growing these in grow bags is that after cropping they can be put outside and will crop outside next year and leave more space in glasshouse. Potatoes should be sprouted first before planting by putting them in a warm place with plenty light. use an early variety (Home Guard or Duke of York). it is a bit early for most vegetable seeds. March /April is better.
You will need heat to germinate seeds of tomatoes peppers cucumbers Aubergines.
Best of luck
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some pics of my set-up!!

Greenhouse1.jpg
 Description:
The Greenhouse!
 Filesize:  54.19 KB
 Viewed:  3689 Time(s)

Greenhouse1.jpg

Greenhouse2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.32 KB

Greenhouse2.jpg

Greenhouse4.jpg
 Description:
Strawberry pots and grow bags
 Filesize:  70.91 KB

Greenhouse4.jpg

Greenhouse6.jpg
 Description:
starting to dig!
 Filesize:  74.93 KB

Greenhouse6.jpg

Greenhouse8.jpg
 Description:
garden shot with 2 small apple & big plum tree!
 Filesize:  60.59 KB

Greenhouse8.jpg

Greenhouse9.jpg
 Description:
strawberry plant and mini cucumber getting started indoors.
 Filesize:  45.75 KB

Greenhouse9.jpg

Greenhouse10.jpg
 Description:
propagator with tomato,peppers and a few strawberry seeds!! yum!
 Filesize:  44.65 KB

Greenhouse10.jpg

paul5000
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice greenhouse. Nice to see you collect rainwater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: