Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Should I provide allotments or not?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
naraic
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Should I provide allotments or not? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking for some help. I have the option to buy an acre of land in the Kildare area and like a lot of people in the county my plans have changed in the past while. I would like to keep the option of the land and am considering using it to provide allotments. There are two things that I need in order to make my decision and your help would be beneficial. Can you tell me what is involved in setting up an allotment? What are the usual allotment sizes and what services and resources are usually or expected to be provided?

Secondly, and maybe more importantly, what kind of interest would there in take up of allotments in the Kildare area? Obviously there would be no point of me going to any effort if there were no interest.

Any other help or advice would be appreciated and if there is any other information you need please ask. This is a new area for me so please excuse the lack of details as I simply do not have them - I'm hoping that this thread will help me explore those details and help anyone else who is considering the same path.

Thanks,

Ciarán
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ciaran,
on the face of it an acre seems to small to be used to set up a business. You need to know how many allotments you can get into one acre, they are on average 120 square metres, your site is 2000 sq. m, Each site will need fencing and every six will need a water stand. Do you have plenty of water? What about access and parking space? must they come out of that acre? You would be looking at about 1.80 to 2.20 euro per sq. m for annual rent. As for interest, this is something you need to research, are you close to any sort of a population or is it a more rural location where people might have larger than normal gardens and therefore less likely to be interested in renting a plot. Also expressing an interest in general conversation is very different from actually putting your money down. Best of Luck.

Regards, Ian.
Greenside Up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ciaran. An allotment group was formed in Paulstown, Co Kilkenny last year. It was spearheaded by the local Green councillor.

He dropped leaflets in the doors of everybody in the area and then organised a public meeting. Residents then set up an association.

The association decided upon the size of the plots - they agreed on 6m x 8m (some have 2 plots and some shared).

Planning was not necessary as there are no permanent structures.

As a land owner you would need some legal advice and a contract. The association rent the land for 11 months a year - they're not allowed to enter it during January - something to do with squatters rights.

You would also have to provide water and bear in mind that folk would have to park nearby.

The members had a joining fee of €20.00 ea which helped to cover the cost of fencing, ploughing and rotavating at the beginning. They then pay €150 a year membership.

Of the 35 plots, 26 have been taken up.

Hope this helps.

Dee
brennan.jm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dee, Had a look at your web site. Can you tell if your gardens are open to visitors.
Greenside Up

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking out the website. My garden isn't strictly open - we're only growing veg for the family and to help with demonstrations, etc for the workshops! However I may be having an open day in the summer for folk who've attended my workshops. If you send me an email I can put your name down on the update list.

There's a fantastic herb/vegetable garden at Kilgranny House nr Borris that has opened up during the Carlow Floral Trail each year - I'd definately recommend taking a look at that if you have the chance.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say your insurance company would also require you to cough up a bit more cash if you're allowing what eseentially amount to tenants onto the land.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: