Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

To clear or not to clear

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: To clear or not to clear Reply with quote

Hi
Over in the UK there is ( or was , I am a bit out of touch) a bye law stating that if a retailer of house owner/occupier cleared snow or ice from the front of their premises, they were liable for prosecution of someone injured themselves if they fell over. If , on the other hand, they just leave it then it was the councils responsibility if an accident occurred due to refreezing etc.

Here in Ireland I have heard that if you DON'T go out and clean the pavement of snow and ice then the householder, retailer are then liable if an accident occurs.

Does anyone have a legal brain and know the answer to this?

Cheers

SNOW PIC 23.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.81 KB
 Viewed:  2852 Time(s)

SNOW PIC 23.jpg

paul5000
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in America your responsible for the footpath outside your house and if some mug slips they can sue. Dose not work the way in Ireland. Footpaths here are the councils responsibility.
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the responsibility of the homeowner folks. Although John Gormally of the greens would have you think otherwise. You clear it, someone slips and sues you, then Gormley will go into hiding.

Here is a recent snapshot from the greens website. I thought the misspelling of horticulture quite fitting seeing as that is what they have become. Still uncorrected at time of my posting.

greens tools.gif
 Description:
hori culture
 Filesize:  55.97 KB
 Viewed:  2828 Time(s)

greens tools.gif

inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooler wrote:
Although John Gormally of the greens would have you think otherwise.

You might like to rethink the comments about spelling.......no one's perfect...he he....

Anyone got any hard facts.?......I heard in passing on the radio that there were bye laws in place about clearing pavements and responsibilities lie with the owners...Can't find anything on the web...Might phone the council on Monday

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: any good litigation going down with the snow Reply with quote

Yeah! The correct spelling is G O R M L E S S . But you're right about the law in England at least according to my very knowledgeable English neighbour. But it's not because you 'own' the space you clear. It's because your actions were deemed to contribute to the distress of the sueer? sewer? suier?.

In Eireann go brĂ¡ch you would just tell him to psis off and sue the council.

By the way you can't be done by a speed camera over here while snow covers the road markers. So what you might lose on the swings you might gain on the roundabouts. Having being sued for someone slipping and sliding outside you house does not means you should balance things by flying past the camera at 50. "Two rights never made a wrong" or words to that effect.

PS: unless I'm mistaken 'horiculture' is the habit of cultivating timepieces.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: