Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

DMX lighting.

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: DMX lighting. Reply with quote

Any of you using DMX lighting in your gardening?

If you are, could you explain it to me in a gardening context? I'm just interested in the lighting side only. I've just put in weatherproof sockets around the garden.

Thanks,

KS.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: DMX in a gardening context Reply with quote

Digital multiplex in a garden. Are you thinking of doing live theatre or pulling our leg? April 1st is a bit off? LOL
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: DMX in a gardening context Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
Digital multiplex in a garden. Are you thinking of doing live theatre or pulling our leg? April 1st is a bit off? LOL

No I'm not.

I was thinking of putting in four low wattage coloured floodlights in the back garden. Then to have each of them slowly change colour gradually, say over 5 minutes; yellow, to red, to green, to blue, or whatever. So, in a half hour period you'd have 4 different colours washing over the garden.

I haven't a clue about lights but I was told a simple DMX controller would be the best way of doing it and I was wondering if someone had already done this and could give me advice. For example I might want only 1 light working one day and then maybe for a party I might want all four lights going.

Any advice welcome.

walltoall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: dmxing the garden Reply with quote

It can be done and yes Mr. Resistor in Wandsworth has results which I think will work for you. Modern halogen lamps operate at 12VDC (sometimes 24VDC). Any voltage under 50 can be used in wet and high humidity situations out in the garden in total safety. We use 12/24V electric and electronic gear on sea-going yachts, which has to be the ultimate 'hostile' environment for such gear.

High intensity LEDs can be used submerged as long as you don't submerge the power supply and can light a garden or parts of it quite well with 12/24V halogens as the ambient light outside is low at night.

The interseting aspect of your brief is the gradually fading/emerging colour scheme, which would need a programmable 'computer'.I'll beaver away in the background for the mo and wait for other contributors to comment.

Happy Wading

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour change controllers here.

http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/controls.aspx?t=650

including DMX ( a little bit pricey, though) . There are cheaper systems. But which is the most trouble free? And which works best for a garden?

I only want a basic system. Maybe in a couple of years I might try to emulate this guy! Razz Razz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgf60CI_ks&feature=player_embedded#

walltoall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: PURELY AN OVERVIEW. DON'T DO THIS AT HOME JUST YET Reply with quote

http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?&t=650&r=533&i=3763 MASTER
is a possible start point as it seems to be programmable in various modes to run four lights.

http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?&t=650&r=533&i=3764 SLAVE
looks like the gizmo to which lights are wired and controlled by the MASTER. I don't know specifically what it can do. You need a light of one colour to fade slowly to nothing as a second, of different colour, intensifies.

http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?&g=9&t=564&r=333&i=3054&a=1
is a likely looking 'spotlight'.. M268s are common nowadays in house lighting sets.This Low Voltage Dichroic Halogen lamp has a narrow beam and comes with an al. reflector which will not deteriorate. M268 50mm halogen 20W Beam Angle: 12°. The lamp will act like a spotlight and be sufficient to light a small tree from about 25'.

http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?&t=212&r=213&i=6825&a=1
is a dimmable 12V transformer that works with [at least] 2 and [at most] 5 M268s as above. If this lot was strung together you would have your most basic shopping list.

Stay on the frequency though and listen out for further.

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd prefer LED floodlights rather than spots.

e.g. http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/item.aspx?&g=16&t=701&r=666&i=5786

I already have a set of four small spots (rating 8 watts) which I bought from Wickes for €20 in total but I think I'd prefer the washing / colour-changing effect of floods. I wouldn't like floodlights without a colour changing effect because it would get a bit monotonous.

It's all a bit pricey though. I'll have to start saving!
walltoall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: spending your inheritence in dribs and drabs or in one go Reply with quote

Yo Kindred',

The last thing I would do to you is squander your inheritence. The link from Mr. Resistor is the business indeed. But at a price! The LED array is stunning but it will need to be driven and controlled by the WISE gear shown on the same page. That set-up looks like it would illuminate one whole side of your lake. It would also light up your credit card account and keep it smouldering for months. Now consider an entirely different approach. This is how me an' me mates would have done it as kids if a. we had access to elecronics like modern kids AND b. we weren't busy making explosives or shoving sparrows in oul wans letter-boxes or throwing snowballs with rocks inside at Guards.

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/bulbfinder/?w=&v=&c=2-Pin&f=&cat=15&field=price&sort=asc&page=1&history=10:97,15:31&gclid=CMnI8syBvZ8CFaBb4wodbgYi0g

These items cost about €2 each and are spots, floods or whatever you want them to be but in minature. Look at the different code numbers and check the given angle. 12deg gives a spot. 36deg gives a flood. The wattage determines the intensity of the light when it is on full power. To get a gradual change of light from red to green you need a red bulb a green bulb and a gismo which can infinitely vary the voltage of both or either bulb between 0V - 12V - 0V. Use red sweet-paper to cover one lamp and green sweet-paper to cover the other. Point them at a feature in the garden, shall we say a small tree. wire them back to the gismo and throw the switch. The gismo increases one from 0V to 12V while decreasing the other from 12V to 0V and does so in a timed cycle which could vary from a few seconds to many minutes. The effect is that the tree slowly and seamlessly changes the colour of the tree from red to green and back to red to start another cycle.

The gismo comes from Christmas tree lights. (Maplins do them for 5€ ish.)

http://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/dc-christmas-lights.html Here is the 'technical' site location. This is what small boys would be doing in 21st century if their Wiis and x-boxes and TVs and computers were locked up. It's also what I would be doing if I were 12 again. And now maybe my signature about getting candle grease on me nose makes sense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: