Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Fast growing hedge

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
baradcc
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Fast growing hedge Reply with quote

I have escallonia hedge planted 5 years ago but has only grown about 4ft. The leaves have nearly all fallen off - yellow with black spots.
I need something that will grow quickly. My soil is acid and stony and we are in a windy location. I have seen laurel and griselinia growing nearby and would be grateful for recommendations. Also, where to buy them as I would need about 100 and when would be the best time to plant.
Thanks for your help.
beetroot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi baradcc, i also have escalonia growing but only with one yr and i too am living in a very windy area and need the good protection that escalonia is supposed to offer...but i put up the green shelter belt around mine and it did make a big difference,
also in october i clipped a little bit off the tops , this is what i was told to do by the man i bought them from and it is ment to thicken them up as well, and if they are growing very wide you can tidy the sides and they will grow taller...
im only new to this but there is a good bit of growth in mine in only one yr.

hope this helps.
good luck

Ciarandebuitlear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: 4 choices Reply with quote

Laurel, grows to 1-2 feet per year, big glossy dark green leaves, berries are poisonous. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_laurocerasus

Escallonia, Grows 1 foot per year, Typically smaller dark green glossy leaves, also gives flowers in summer, several different kinds www.hedginguk.com/escallonia.html

Griselinia, Grows 1 foot per year, medium light green leaves, again several different varieties. www.hedginguk.com/griselinia.html

Lonicera (Lonicera nitida) grows 1-2 feet per year, very small leaves , neat formal hedge. www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/lonicera_nitida_.html

frengers80
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: re hedge Reply with quote

the easiest answer to your question is already in your topic.The best way of selecting a good variety is to see what is successful in your location re griselinia etc.for ordering look up a nursery in your yellow pages.Many of the larger ones are trade only but if you have cash they will gladly welcome you in!!!
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Good soil preparation is important for most shrubs planted as a hedge.

If you are not in a rush you could grow your plants from stem cuttings.

Check out this link to help with the plants you have..It would be a pity to give up on them..

http://inishindiegardenmatters.blogspot.com/2009/01/escallonia-problems.html

If you are changing plants then maybe consider a mixed natural hedge...Use native species, which are commonly found in our countryside hedgerows. A valuable wildlife hedgerow is species-rich. This is planted using 70% hawthorn and 30% of at least 4 other species selected from blackthorn, holly, wild rose, buckthorn, field maple and hazel. Add an occasional tree such as silver birch, rowan, bird cherry or field maple.

Cheers

Ian

icy 33.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.45 KB
 Viewed:  10543 Time(s)

icy 33.jpg

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griselinia is not a good hedge for a number of reasons including diseases, escallonia has succumbed in recent years to a serious foliar disease also. An informal hedge of mixed species like laurel, Olearia, hawthorn, are excellent. The native species like Privet which is semi-evergreen and available in a number of varieties. deciduous species make excellent shelter breaks but do not give complete privacy. growing an informal hedge means no annual cutting and shaping.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
easyram

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they're also not good for wildlife. There's just an empty silence when you pass a Griselinia hedge...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: