Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Irish Forestry student saying Hi

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Fletcher
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Irish Forestry student saying Hi Reply with quote

Hello,
I am a final year forestry student studying in UCD. I am very interested in gardening and until recently I was heavily involved in the UCD vegetable garden club.

Hopefully I can pick up some tips for running a small garden here and maybe even help people out if they have any silvicultural problems.

Please ask me any questions because it will give me a reason to research more subjects in my course and get more use out of the fantastic library in UCD at my disposal. ( I don't get nearly enough use out of it as it is Smile )

Cheers,
Fletcher
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi fletcher
would you have any information on how to grow christmas trees mainly noble fir.and where would i get them.i notice a lot of the cut trees this year are very poor quality
thanks
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Fletcher! Great that you've joined. I promise to bother your brain to the very brink of madness and back again - I have questions that will require you to imerse your brain in a bucket of cold water for 24 hours after each one - if your up for it of course Laughing

I agree with Forest Flame, it would be great if you could help out with some advise on the growing of Christmas trees (I'm sure that most people would like to grow their own). The one I'm growing is a poor, shabby looking specimin. It's gone brown all down the windward side. I didn't think they needed any more shelter than the other conifers that are growing around them (Ceder and Spruce) which are all doing fine. What has gone wrong?

I've just put a bag of noble fir seeds in some compost in the fridge to stratify for a few weeks before I put them in a tray. What's the ideal germination temperature? I read 70 degrees, but this seems very warm?

Also, I've been growing two Blue, Colorado Spruce for some friends who want trees that don't spill needles. They're growing, but so, so slowly. Is there much variation in the speed at which different kinds of potential Christmas trees grow, or am I doing something awful to the poor little things?
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Blowing hot and cold in Farenheit and Celcius Reply with quote

Hi DinahD
70F minus 32 = 38, multiply by 5/9 = 20+C = Idea the likely temperature in almost any room in your house. But you knew that? Idea

Hi Fletcher,
Welcome to the best gardening site in Europe. It's so good they have guys contributing from [almost] all over the world. If you trawl the complete site here you will not BELIEVE the wealth of stuff available, much of which has not even made the bookshelves of UCD and some of which may not get there for another 20 years if ever. I thought I was pretty good before I found "IrishGardeners". I'm a little humbled by some of the people I've come to know here.
wall Twisted Evil to Twisted Evil all

dinahdabble

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walltoall said: "the likely temperature in almost any room in your house" is 70F.
No, Laughing that's not the likely terperature in any room in my house. We are so mizerly here with the heating that even relatives refuse to visit. We are part of the cold-hardy generation who evolved befor the invention of proper heating systems. Smile The warmest room is the "living room" and that is currently standing at about 58. We never actualy top 60. Cool This, naturaly, means that many "indoor" plants do not flourish the way they do in other, fancy pants modern day hot-houses. But believe me the ones that do survive are Tough! Tough, Tough, Tough! Mr. Green And if you make jokes about their maths skills they'll come and hit you on the head with a wilted tomato plant stalk! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like my uncles house where if you touch anything metal in this weather you will stick to it Laughing The cat lives under the stove and refuses to come out until May !! Draught excluders are toilet roll inserts shoved into the breezy bits of windows and doors and central heating is an extra jumper. If that man says theres a bite in the air I make plans to hibernate Laughing Laughing
brennan.jm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fletcher,
any ideas on growing firewood within ten years
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: