Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Hedging for sheltered path

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
catman
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Hedging for sheltered path Reply with quote

Hi all, I live in an estate of semi-detatched houses. At the side gate to the back garden I have a 2m wide section between the gable end and the boundary fence. This is made up of a 1.2m wide concrete path in against the gable wall of the house, then about 800mm of clay up against the 2m high fence. This clay area had been grassed when I bought the house but because it is so sheltered the grass never took off and its covered in moss which is horrible looking.
I completely renovated the garden last year and this area was used to dump all excess soil, stones and building materials as it is out of site. I am planning on getting rid of all this stuff in the new year and put something in its place. Firstly I am building a composting area and a hid for the bins. The remainder of it I was hoping to plant a hedge in. Is there any hedging that would survive without too much light but that can also be shaped and is neat looking?
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think yew and laurel will do well in shade, but maybe someone who has grown such a hedge will be better able to advise you about how much they can be trimmed....you don't have a lot of space by the sounds of things.
catman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Sive, as I said above the grass area is about 800mm wide and the path is not much wider so i'd be hoping to be able to cut it back to keep it from encroaching on the path. It can get as high as it wants really but would be ideally only as wide as the grass area.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as sive says yew and laurel will work you could also look at bay laurel aucuba and fatsia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: