Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Storage of Bare Root Shrubs.

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
bthorn
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Storage of Bare Root Shrubs. Reply with quote

I've bought some 150 black- and white-thorn bare root plant that I want to plant as a native bounds hedge soon.
It was far too wet for the preliminary spraying of the ground with roundup last weekend. So the bare root plant remain in their plastic bags.
I know that the thorn bushes aren't growing at this time of the year, but will they be okay like this till it dries up enough for me to spray the grass away from the hedge line and then wait the customary 2 weeks for the spray to work before planting afterwards ?
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about leaving them in plastic bags...it may be absolutely fine, but if you want to relax and not feel rushed about doing the planting, just lay them all at an angle on the ground and cover the roots with a mound of earth.....they'll survive indefinitely like that.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bthorn,

If I may add to Sive's post: plastic around the root area is ok. But not over the 'branches'. Keep the plants in a shady area or in reduced light. Against a north wall you could lay them heads up and shovel some soil over the roots. Basically you have plants in hinbernation. They can NOT be allowed to dry out and preferably not for the roots to get frozen.

Plants stored thus could last til April spread out along a wall or in a drill. But if they start to burst leaf (come Spring) you need to get them planted fast so they have access to water and nutrients required for growing.

Why do you need to kill off grass / weeds in the planting area anyway?

Blackthorn and hawthorn are robust wild plants. Systemic weed killer only works properly when the victim weed or grass is growing strongly in the growing season. Sodium salts which sterilise the ground make the ground poisonous to ALL growth.

I bet I'm missing something

bthorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing will grow till spring.
Suppose I just plant the thorn bushes and do not spray the surrounding grass.
Next spring, as growth comes the grass will grow quicker and may quickly be higher than the 25 cm thorn plants.
I was afraid that this "competition" would kill them.
It's always said to cut back grass that surrounds young trees sown in spring.

Do I worry unnecessarily ?
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO PLANT YOUR PLANTS IN THE NEAR FUTURE AND THEN ADD A MULCH AROUND THE BASE OF THE PLANTS.THIS WILL STOP THE GRASS GROWING WHILE THE TREES GET ESTABLISHED.
walltoall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Forest flames idea Reply with quote

bthorn
Nothing wrong with ForestFlame's suggestion. There's two ways of considering the long grass. In the wild, hawthorn quicks grow up very happily through long grass. I suspect it may be that the grass provides shade and moisture at a critical point. Hawthorn puts out a phenomenal root structure and relies totally on it. Complex root structures depend hugely on moisture and structure So once the quicks are in don't attempt to replant them as they will almost certainly die. The blackthorn has a different root structure.

An old old trick on this forum is when you have a large amount of the same thing to plant as in your case, divide into 3 x 50 and plant 1/3 now. 1/3 later and the final 1/3 under different circumstances (such as cutting or killing the grass, using a mulch, or some other variable.

Main thing is don't be afraid to follow your own instincts. My attitude always is most plants grow in spite of us and the rest grow to spite us. Best of luck.

bthorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plants are to be sown just 1 m inside a post and chainlink wire fence.
This fence runs roughly north-south.
Prevailing winds at this time are from west/southwest.

1. Can I plant the thorn plants like setting cabbage plants -- i.e. open slit in ground with shovel, place roots under shovel-blade close to soil and let open sod fall back on plant, packing in firm with the weight of a boot ?

2. Will plants be tough enough to survive the rest of this winter here or will they need a green transparent screen set against the wire fence just west of them to block off the prevailing winds?
We are about 1 of mile in from the Atlantic in Tralee Bay area.
walltoall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: shilleaghs in the making Reply with quote

bthorn
You can of course plant them as you say and with 150 it makes sense. It would be BETTER but not essential with the hawthorn to go to some more trouble so the roots are spread a bit in the new location, but I would not put that on you with the 150. The blackthorn is more forgiving.

Obviously a wind barrier along the wire fence would be terrific, but it's not ESSENTIAL. The hawthorn will spend some time growing roots underground before it starts to grow above ground. So be patient and it'll flourish. The blackthorn should grow a little faster than the hawthorn.

Did you know that firethorn (although not a native shares characteristics mof both the hawthorn AND the blackthorn

bthorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for assurance.

Can't (orders of council planning office) use non-natives, even the long established introduced species.
And at this stage I'm looking forward to being the only 100% native garden in Kerry.
Besides only Pyracantha coccinea seems to be viable here, the rest being poisonous or unhardy.
bthorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're in now !
Had yearlings graze the whole field down to nothing just before cold phase started in December.
Kindly, they left their dung preferentially along the chainlink bounds fence.
So when I planted them last weekend (anytime before it would be too frosty) I had no grass competition and enough natural fertiliser for around them.
Did them 2 bush plants per metre, in groups of 25 blackthorn, 25 whitethorn, etc.
Bareroot stock ex-Coillte, great value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: