Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Fello Irish Gardener aboard..

Most Recent Posts christmas market.
Last post: Greengage
Planting trees in carparks.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Frangipani
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Fello Irish Gardener aboard.. Reply with quote

Hi there,
I'm in Waterford city and am lucky to have a biggish garden at the back of my house. I've been growing veg for the last few years. This year I had potatoes, onions, peas, courgettes, lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, and some chard is growing under a large water bottle at the moment for the winter. Garlic is going into trays and broad beans are being potted in the shed this weekend.
I love growing flowers, shrubs and fruit. Have had strawberries for a few years but started with 2 blueberry bushes this year. They had fruit but the birds were lucky I let them have them until I cover them next year.
I am slowly adding to the garden as money can allow. I am quiet picky with plants, so I take my time finding ones I really like and that will suit the garden.
My favourite flower is the Frangipani/ Plumeria which I came across in Sri Lanka. The smell is out of this world. I have one growing I bought online as a cutting. It is in its second year. Its in my bedroom and this winter I have a propagator tray under it as its been so cold some of the bottom leaves fell off and I really want it to flower in the next year or 2!! They come in different colours but the white with yellow middle is my favourite. (see my profile pic!)
When I am abroad I collect seeds where possible. I'm 27 and get funny looks off anyone I tell but I don't care its what I get my kick out of. There's only so much choice of flowers and shrubs in garden centres. I like to bring new unusual plants into my garden.
I collected seeds in Portugal this October from a Jacaranda tree. I realise they need hot climate, but I am going to try growing them anyway!!
I have plenty spare Jacaranda seeds if anyone wants some PM me!
I can put up photos of my garden of the changes so far.
Next stop is to get small fruit trees. Apple of irish variety in particular. And maybe a small pear and crab apple. Anyone know any good nurseries near Waterford? I only know of Sunhill so far in Kilkenny which I plan to visit soon.

Thats me for now.
Nice to join a group of people with the same interest.
Gemma
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gemma
it sounds like you have the gardening bug like so many of us. it is so rewarding to see something you nurtured grow.best of luck with the jacaranda beautiful plant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: