Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Help identifying Alder seeds?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: ponddigger
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Help identifying Alder seeds? Reply with quote

Oh dear, I've gone and mixed up two types of cones that I collected from some deciduous, broadleaved trees that I thought were the same, but they are definitely not. :? The cones, and bare trees looked identical, except that one was slightly smaller than the other - should have realised. :oops: Upon extraction, however, the seeds of larger and smaller are completely different. The one type are flattish, round, grey, about 3 mm across, with a very thin halo of papery material attached around the edge. The other seeds are about 1.5 mm across, bright orange, nearly triangular from one angle though rounded from the other - no halo. I didn't have time to inspect the leaves or bark of each tree closely, since I leaped from the car and grabed as many as I could before the lights changed. I was attempting to gather native Alder to plant, but now I have two types - one is obviously an imposter the naughty, naughty thing. If anyone knows which is the Alder (if either) your help would be very much appreciated.

Also, if anyone could help me explain my behaviour to the police, I would be even more greatful :wink:
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like squirrellous behaviour to me Laughing
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i couldnt be sure which is which but why not sepreate the types and plant them up anyway.
next year when they get a few leaves it will be easy to identify them.
dinahdabble

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking Forrest Flame. I've seperated them using a kitchen collander, and will plant them and see.

Foxylock re: Police. You don't think they will do me for Squirrellous behaviour do you? Shocked I'll have to plead rodent-rage!!
dinahdabble

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a considerable amount of searching, I am nearly sure that the little orange seed is the Alnus Glutinosa, and the bigger grey are Alnus Incana. Smile It's exhausting work looking up seed types on the internet, I need a cup of tea! Will somebody please make me a cup of tea!!
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Cuppa Rosy then Dinahdabble? Reply with quote

Kettle's on, pot is warming. Earl Grey or Assam? Sugar Milk? Mug or cup? I'm right out of jampots at the moment due to a lasy minute glut of tomatoes chutneyed. But I respect a researcher so I'll make your tea. What in the name of goodness were you doing up at 4am though?
dinahdabble

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I started looking for the seeds on the internet as a kind of 'last job of the day' and... it was suddenly 4 am. Rolling Eyes It happens when ever I try to find something out on the internet - think they call it information overload.
Anyway, the virtual Earl Grey was very reviving, even if it was made 6 hours later and was simmering in the pot for 6 hours after that - I definately needed it. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: