Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

grow lights

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: grow lights Reply with quote

I've just bought grow lights on ebay and notice that they are available in Dublin at this linkhttp://tinyurl.com/yj7pob5
If the link goes dormant over time and is no longer accessible, then google LED grow lights and look for multi-spectrum. It appears that plants need heat, thus a heat coil which you can get from the hardware store specifically for plant propagation and the 14 hours of sunlight - hence the special blue/red colours to speed growth. These bulbs are low cost on electric bills, produce no heat and have a long life. Look at the lumens count for the strength when buying and also for the square footage of the output. If I can't be outside puttering, then I shall be indoors looking at things grow and trying out new cuttings under lights. If anyone has these and knows they work, let me know. I don't want to be promoting and expensive gimmick. In my research on youtube, most of the sellers are pot heads and the videos are good adverts for why NOT to smoke pot. Also, there are good prices from China vendors who promise to ship free. I'd be interested if people have had bad ebay experiences that I ought to be aware of.
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon Ormondsview,

I've seen these on e bay, don't know whether they work or not. As for e bay, I've bought and sold a bit of stuff over the past couple of years and haven't had any problems. I only buy from guys that are listed as 100%.

What I found very successful by way of grow lamps has been a double 4 foot flouresent light with horticultural tubes. From what I can remember certainly cost less than €102 and you have good coverage, you wouldn't notice the difference on your esb bill even though there on12/7 for 3 months.

Best of luck with the growing

paul5000
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Sulpher Plasmaa Reply with quote

L.E.D lites will make a considerable saving to those who use HID bulbs. And a good investment. A new technology is Sulphur plasma light. It mimics the sun down to a tee.
They are using them in America in warehouses as natural daylight. But it creates radiation so ballast in housed in led. ??????!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Sad
ormondsview

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: light in winter for propagation Reply with quote

As someone who's fled the florescent lights and reflected white screen of computers, I'm dooming myself to a Dantesque perpetual punishment of plugs and powercords to power my grow centre. Ok. enough with the drama!

The multi spectrum ebay red/blue lights are not producing a major difference in the lavender cuttings growth. They are surviving, green enough and will be ready in spring for planting in the greenhouse in advance of the season. I've tried several cheap alternatives to spot lights and the hot leds, high power ones, produce optimal growth. So florescents would have done just as well.

The best option would be sunlight, at least 4-6 hours of it as it gives both heat and good rays. But the house is so situated that I get merely 2 a day. Hence the necessity of lights.

If folks want to see how long germination takes based on seed types, here's a good site. http://oregonbd.org/Class/Seed.htm

Sometimes it's conditions, the age/quality of seed, or other factor which makes them grow. Good to know a time frame of when something will start.

Do people water from the bottom to produce root growth? Or mist only?
AJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there ormondsview,

I water from the bottom for 2 reasons, 1. its alot cleaner and 2. don't want excesses of water where there are electrical appliences, ie propogator, lights and heater.

I just give everything a mist every second day or so but everyday when it's warm

Redfox
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I got myself a heated propagator. I'm not sue how well it works. Most of the seeds germinate really quickly and then long leg. I brought the temperature right down to the minimum setting. After a bit of research it seems that I need more light. I ordered one of the LED grow lights from china Smile Will see if it makes any difference. When do you take your seedlings out of the propagator? Maybe I leave them in to long. I read that you should remove them as soon as the plant appears on the surface? Is that right?
AJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening Ormondsview,

I normally take them out of the propogator when it's time to prickout, that is when they have 2 sets of leaves, but be careful not to put them in a place where it's much colder, this may kill them off. Best of luck with the lights.

Will be getting set up myself this week end, so fingers crossed Laughing

Redfox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I prevent them from long legging? Is it the lack of light. I have the propagator on the window sil. I kept the temperature low as well. I put in some lettuce seeds and they turned out like glass noodles.... I normally buy seedlings, but decided to grow from seed this year. I started a bit early to have a test run before I start for real... which should be in the next couple of weeks.
AJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Redfox, don't know why I said Ormondsview,

I've had no success on window sills either, but it is a bit early to expect good light levels at the moment, if the light source u've ordered is the right type of light u'll see a huge difference.
Wink

If u have the 4 elements of

Good light
good growing medium
correct temp

and a little bit of luck

Things should work out fine

paul5000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of Light is the cause of leggy plants, supplement light either by florescent or L.E.D if you can. It is still early in the year.
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late posting here ,but the topic is similar to what I came on here to ask about anyway. Are these LED lights as good as the florescent for providing supplementery light?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: