Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Peonies

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Peonies Reply with quote

I wonder which country has the most abundant plant varieties, possibly New Zealand? But then it could be China as many of the plants originate from there historically. Take the peony. Here's a great site to view all the varieties and covet them. http://www.epeony.com/index.html The peony is a sentimental plant as it lasts forever, gets given from my mother to me, to a neighbour, friend by simply slicing off a bit of the root. It has few pests, lasts only a short while but is so entirely grand when in bloom that it's unforgetable when in season. I'll be putting in more in the woodland section of my garden as they do better in partial shade, lasting longer. We get heat spells and if the sun is too hot, the flowers just explode, as do the tulips. In China and Japan, they put umbrellas over them. Do people have many of them in Irish gardens? If so, which types? Tree peonies?
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two peonies that were here from when the previous family lived here. They hadn't flowered in 4 years, so I moved them this year so hope they will now flower and I can find out what kind they are. They are deffinately not tree peonies, I have a small one of those in a pot waiting transplanting, which I bought in the summer. It is a yellow variety.
ormondsview

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Non flowering peonies Reply with quote

I think peonies need to be close to the surface, the corms just slightly from the top to flower. I also have some which are buried under too much composting which I've done to keep weeds down and they haven't flowered at all. I'll move them, divide them into bits and see what happens. They aren't happy where they are and I don't want to give up on them yet.
dinahdabble

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that I mulched mine too deeply last winter. I got pleanty of new foliage but no flower. The mulch itself has almost vanished into the soil now, so perhaps if I leave them how they are for the time being they will flower next year. I have read that they don't usualy flower for a couple of years after they have been moved, so I shouldn't think you will get quick results either, but I am sure it's worth a go. They are the most wonderful flowers, and according to my mother, once you do get the conditions and possition right they are easy to keep flowering and take care of.
barremic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Just to mention, once you do get flowers, literally just leave them be. My mother has had the cerise pink variety in the front garden for almost 40 years. She never mulches them, feeds them and they have never been lifted or divided. And they cause people to stop when walking past each may. there is usually about 40 large pink flowers on them.

The most she ever does is cut back the stems when they are dried to tidy up.
I managed to get one of the smaller plants off her (many have tried and she will not part with them) as I moved house last year, I am hoping they will flower in a year or two, as i did try to bring as much soil from the roots with them.

I have created a peony bed just for them and a few early tulips. I have managed to get 6 varieties so fare, and am a sucker when i see any new ones anywhere. But i think patience is the key, some can take upto seven years to flower after been moved (or disturbed).

Some are poking up through the bark already, lovely dark pink buds, and its a nice reminder of whats to come
dinahdabble

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advise, many thanks, I'll leave mine well alone in the new position and see what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: