Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

Pests ob Chilli plants

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Pests ob Chilli plants Reply with quote

I've moved my chilli plants indoors but I'm losing the war against aphids and whitefly.

I've searched for an organic insecticidal soap but cannot find one. Does anyone know where to get it from?
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping mine managable by inverting my plants in a bucket of water with a decent squirt of ecological washing up powder/liquid. I cover the soil with my hand, but always loose a bit off the top. This is not a problem because I top them up with fresh soil and the aphids that had droped onto the soil surface are washed away too. After giving them a good dip and swilling them arround a bit, I stand them outside for a short while to dry. I then give the soil a good soaking with clean water before bringing them back indoors. I tip the bucket with the washed off aphids onto the wild ground so that any survivers - and I think they do despite being displaced - can make a life elsewhere.

Last edited by dinahdabble on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
cathd
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compost or vermicompost tea, or simply a really good top dressing with vermicompost can really help protect plants from all types of aphid. (And other pests with an exoskeleton).
I had some kind of infestation on an indoor tomato plant (I'm keeping it because I don't know the variety and it's the nicest cherry I've ever eaten- I want to take cuttings in a few months)- and a top dressing with worms poop a few days ago is already showing dividends. I didn't want to spray with anything (in my case worm tea) because it's right beside my computer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: